Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thought I would share some images of my new rear end housing fixture that I recently completed. I have had the plans for this for over a year now, but recently had the chance to finally build it.
Future plans are to add additional fixturing to allow me to fabricate stock suspension housings for both the Mustang and TA F-Body cars.
First order of business is a new housing for a nitrous Pro Mod. I will update with progression images.

Here is a direct link to my Webshots album with images of the jig and all fixturings. I cant figure out how to post the images direct to yellowbullet.

http://rides.webshots.com/album/579649214ihhJJc

·
Registered
280 Posts
That is a work of art, is it strong enough to stop warpage as you weld? I've always wondered if housings come out of these jigs relaxed or do they need some time on the press to straighten them out after welding. You weld the housing ends on after it's removed from the jig?

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is a work of art, is it strong enough to stop warpage as you weld? I've always wondered if housings come out of these jigs relaxed or do they need some time on the press to straighten them out after welding. You weld the housing ends on after it's removed from the jig?
The axle tube hold down blocks are designed to put some preload on the axle tubes so that when the rear brace is welded on everything should be square. I will let you know how it works out. This will also depend on the person welding and there welding technique.
I am certain that there will be some shrinkage from all the welding so the housing might need a little coaxing to remove the 4-link fixtures, but again, this is all speculation until I complete this first housing. Some design changes might be in order.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
That sure looks nicer then the piece of crap I made out of scrap metal I had laying around. It worked ok but was a major pain to work with. Your setup looks very nicley set up. Good Job.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the compliments guys. I will have some updated build photos in a day or so. I have been working out a few small issues that I have ran across, but hope to have a completed housing by the weekend. I will still need to water jet out my back brace, but I am waiting until I complete the housing before I decide exactly what route I want to go with it.
Once the housing is complete I have to make new 4-link bars and anti roll, and then ill package everything up and send them off to get electroless nickel plated.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Better late than never, see link below for images of a housing in progress. If someone can tell me how to post images direct from webshots I would greatly appreciate it.

I should be able to finish up the housing tomorrow as long as my material arrives for the back brace. Still need the drain plug, vent and wishbone mount, but should be able to get it all done, and then I will set it up in the lathe and machine the axle tubes to accept the Mark Williams floater spindles.

http://community.webshots.com/album/579715932TVxjxz

·
First round fodder...
3,602 Posts
that thing looks horrible.....good thing its gonna be under my car................

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
that thing looks horrible.....good thing its gonna be under my car................
Well if I didn't have such a serious case of O.C.D. your housing would be finished already.
I had them water jet me out a fixture today to form the filler straps between the 4-link brackets. I just didn't like the way they were turning out with the tack and bend method.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I updated the webshots album with the latest images. I had to put the housing on the back burner for a few days to take care of a top priority project, but I spent some time the last few nights installing the back brace. Tomorrow ill set it up on the lathe and bore the axle tubes to size to receive the floater spindles. I still need to install the drain plug and wishbone mount, but they are small items.
After welding the back brace on and allowing it to cool, I removed the axle hold down blocks to see if the fixture was worth the blood and sweat I put into it, and I was pleasantly surprised to find that everything was perfectly square. (Money well spent)!

Anyway, check out the images and let me know what you guys think.

http://rides.webshots.com/album/579715932TVxjxz

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
That is a very trick looking piece. How much do you charge to do a complete rear with Brg. ends?

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That is a very trick looking piece. How much do you charge to do a complete rear with Brg. ends?
I haven't figured out a final price yet, as all my focus has been on getting this piece complete so these guys can go racing again.

I will get back to you later next week with pricing and options.

Thanks for looking.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
How much for the fixture ?
Have you ever considered doing a machining table rather then all the drilling?
not real sure what your referring to as far as a machining table. The holes are a necessity to make this fixture work. Without them it would just be another blanchard ground welding table.
I had 1/16" of preload on the axle tube before I welded the back brace on. After cooling I removed the axle hold down blocks and measured the axle tubes. I had .003" overall pull. I don't think you could ask for better than that.

If your interested in pricing for a fixture, then please send me a PM.

Thanks,

·
Registered
145 Posts
Looks sick!

·
Registered
145 Posts
You can see these

1 - 20 of 54 Posts