Yellow Bullet Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Knit lines, porosity? What other casting flaws can be seen with the naked eye on this block? Some folks will say this is acceptable. I spec out porosity size, density and locations also and in a low stress area it's acceptable. In a high stress area it's never acceptable. They need to work on their "mold flow", gates and risers (vents) and make some improvements, IMO.

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
Knit lines, porosity? What other casting flaws can be seen with the naked eye on this block? Some folks will say this is acceptable. I spec out porosity size, density and locations also and in a low stress area it's acceptable. In a high stress area it's never acceptable. They need to work on their "mold flow", gates and risers (vents) and make some improvements, IMO.
View attachment 100478 View attachment 100485
What you are seeing in the top pic is not porosity it's low place in the casting that didn't machine when the took the few thousands off the face there.

·
Registered
10,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I read where some guy on the bullet ran about 50 bottles thru one in 3 years with 10,000 street miles and turning it to 7800 without any problems making about 900 hp. I'm sure that the block would of been better if Jim's customer got one with 350 mains and the raised cam, but his 400 block turned out to be junk and he is using his 400 rotating assy. and he did not ask for advice on which one to order. Looks like a nice piece to me.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts