Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
SB2.2 + pt106
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last time I built an engine, it was the thing to break it in on conventional oil and then swap to synthetic, is that still the thing to do?

About ready to fire up the new engine and it's been quite some time, so wanted to ask the pros.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
The engine builders I know all recommend conventional oil for break in still. I think synthetic prevents the rings from seating properly.

·
Drag Week Survivor
14,409 Posts
I use the Mobil delvac 1300 with a zddp additive for breakin and the first race, Then I switch to Rottella T6 synthetic with a Zddp additive.

My shit's certainly not the fastest, but it stays together for alot of runs.

·
Registered
16,782 Posts
I'm scared to run syn oil lol . Valvoline 40wt for me

·
SB2.2 + pt106
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm scared to run syn oil lol . Valvoline 40wt for me
I ran Amsoil for over 2 years.
Never once changed the oil, just the filter every weekend, never had a problem until I detonated the motor and bent the rod and crank.
Still took the engine apart and most of the bearings still had the teflon coating from more than 5 years ago.
I am a believer of the synthetic.

·
Registered
16,782 Posts
I ran Amsoil for over 2 years.
Never once changed the oil, just the filter every weekend, never had a problem until I detonated the motor and bent the rod and crank.
Still took the engine apart and most of the bearings still had the teflon coating from more than 5 years ago.
I am a believer of the synthetic.
My bearing always look new but if you had good luck with amsoil I would say stick with it :) .

·
Registered
14,298 Posts
The engine builders I know all recommend conventional oil for break in still. I think synthetic prevents the rings from seating properly.
That's what I was told to do. I ran 5w-30 Valvoline for two fills, 500 miles total, "exercised the motor" - pulls from 2000-6000 rpm at WOT, then let the motor "cruise" for a while, repeat.

Must have seated the rings well, I just had a oil analysis done and there was zero water (with E85 it would have been expected) and >.5% of fuel in the oil.

I have since switched to Amsoil as well. 10w-40 on the first fill after and just to 10w-30 about 3 weeks ago.

·
Registered
8,464 Posts
I used regular 10/30 to break it in. Now I use Brad Penn 20/50 or 20/40 don't remember at the moment. Motors been together 2.5 years bearings still good

·
Registered
6,565 Posts
Brad Penn in the race truck and 2 Ducati's. I am a dealer for the top two synthetics and I don't think they are worth the money anymore.

Gotta ask yourself if they are 2 to 3 times better than Brad Penn 'cuz they ain't afraid to charge.

·
TURBOBULLET.COM BITCHES!
6,046 Posts
Rotella in everything I have ever owned
Rotella has recently pulled a large percentage of the zinc out of their oils due to new diesel engines having catalytic converters. May want to add some zinc to it.

·
Registered
16,782 Posts
Brad Penn in the race truck and 2 Ducati's. I am a dealer for the top two synthetics and I don't think they are worth the money anymore.

Gotta ask yourself if they are 2 to 3 times better than Brad Penn 'cuz they ain't afraid to charge.
How does brad penn hold up in alky motors ?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts