Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
16,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my car out for a ride for the first time today. When I got to where I was going I opened the hood and found oil film all over the shock tower. It's coming out of the filter on top of the evaq. canister. On the way home I got on it a litttle and the oil pressure started dropping the higher the rpms went. It started at 50 and went down to 20. If you drive normal it's 50 but as soon as you get on it it starts to drop. There is now a lot of oil all over form the evaq. canister.
I had the engine built by a local well known builder. It's a freshly built 468 with 9.7-1 comp. Dooe-r heads, hyd. roller cam with roller cam brgs. It has an evaq. pump. I wondered if there could be too much oil up top?

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
. On the way home I got on it a litttle and the oil pressure started dropping the higher the rpms went. It started at 50 and went down to 20. If you drive normal it's 50 but as soon as you get on it it starts to drop. ?

It sound like oil pump pick up tube too far away from oil pan. :smt102

·
16,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know about Fram. It has a Motorcraft filter and Brad Penn 20w50 in it. It was broke in with Brad Penn break in oil.

·
Registered
893 Posts
How much vacuum is the pump pulling?.....Does it have a relief valve?

·
16,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Didn't notice and not sure about a relief. I think I'll take the belt off and see what happens.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Didn't notice and not sure about a relief. I think I'll take the belt off and see what happens.
That would be the first thing I would try. Sounds like its RPM related...The more RPM's the more vacuum the pump pulls.....Might be sucking oil away from the pickup.

Rich

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
I'd agree with the too much vacuum maybe sucking the pan in blocking the oil pick up or creating so much vacuum the pump can't overcome the lack of atmospheric pressure with the vacuum. I don't see how a vacuum pump would work real well on the street. The oil film from the puke can seems normal. I get a little on the race car and it only goes 1/8 mile a few times a race. On the street it would suck forever. How much oil is in the puke can? RM

·
16,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I opened the drain and only one drop came out. I'll try taking the belt off. If that fixes it, I'll go with a PCV valve.

·
EFI/N2O JUNKIE
17,959 Posts
Do you have a steel oil pan?
I heard of some people with vacuum pumps suck the bottom of cheaper oil pans up into the bottom of the oil pump pickup at high rpm. Something to think about.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
how much oil is left.if you lost a bunch maybe there isnt enough when you start working the engine.if it dosnt have a regulator on the vac pump and your gonna drive it on the street your gonna have trouble pulling a lot of oil.things that helped me star machine regulator turned down to ony pull a few inches a vac on the street have a good baffle in the valve cover and i put on a seperator tank between the valve cover and pump inlet.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts