Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Within the next year, I will be in the market for a new trailer. I am looking closely at the design with a lift-up side panel. In addition, I am looking at a "V" nose design with a door on the V.
My new tow truck is a 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 with a towing package so lightweight is important. I am considering a 20 or 22 foot. I do not need nor want a big, long, heavy trailer. Enough room for my 1982 Camaro and a very few basic supplies.

If you have something as I described, please tell me about it and where you bought it.

Thanks

Larry Woodfin

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
I bought a 26' inTech aluminum trailer. I would buy again. They will custom build anything you want. I added a few items they had not built before, like drip rails on the sides to keep sides from streaking, and they did them. I like their pewter color as it does not shop dirt. I worked thru a dealer yo get details finalized. They are built in Napennee Indiana.

I would not buy less than a 24'. My car with a mini golf cart barely fits in a 26'. I pull mine with a 1500 Silverado with a 5.3 engine and 3,42 rear gear.

I would get 16" wheels and tires. 15" are barely adequate.

·
Registered
859 Posts
I agree. 24’ minimum. And the 16” wheels.

The longer ones tow better than The short ones. Mine is a 24’ plus like 3-4’ in the Vee area In the nose.
Tow with an 08 ram 1500. No problem.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
If you can afford an enclosed aluminum trailer go with it. Two of my racing buddies have them n they r the stuff for sure! Especially when there is a mountain/incline in sight!

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I borrow a friend's 24ft. Featherlite to pull behind my 6.0 GMC gasser. I love it and am planning on buying a new one for myself sometime. I like it because it doesn't have any wood or paneling inside. It's just aluminum and lightweight everywhere you look.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I bought a 26' inTech aluminum trailer. I would buy again. They will custom build anything you want. I added a few items they had not built before, like drip rails on the sides to keep sides from streaking, and they did them. I like their pewter color as it does not shop dirt. I worked thru a dealer yo get details finalized. They are built in Napennee Indiana.

I would not buy less than a 24'. My car with a mini golf cart barely fits in a 26'. I pull mine with a 1500 Silverado with a 5.3 engine and 3,42 rear gear.

I would get 16" wheels and tires. 15" are barely adequate.
Didn't know that 16" wheels could be had with 5200 lb axles.

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
16 inch wheels and tires are a $300 option. Friend of mine bought a new 28 ft. out of Elkhart Indiana with 16 wheels as the only option. $7300 and it had a weight of 4,400 LBS.

·
A Senior Member
3,045 Posts
Check out KB trailer sales. I have been looking at aluminum 28 footers with them from several manufacturers.

Here is one reply:

An estimated weight of a 28’ Lite Series trailer will be 3,750# and a 28’ with Icon Package will be 4,700#.

Around 20 grand or less for a basic. Tons of different options for your needs.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
What bolt pattern are the 16" wheels?
I think the bolt pattern is the same as the 15 inch wheels. I have 5200 Dexters on ours and we kept blowing tires on long ( over 6 hours) pulls so we updated to 16 inch and Michelin XPS ribbed tires . . Never blew one since .

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I think the bolt pattern is the same as the 15 inch wheels. I have 5200 Dexters on ours and we kept blowing tires on long ( over 6 hours) pulls so we updated to 16 inch and Michelin XPS ribbed tires . . Never blew one since .
That's good to know. I'm looking to downsize. I have a 30' Edge with 2 6K axles, 8 lug 16" wheels. 16" tires load range E.

·
EFI/N2O JUNKIE
16,598 Posts
I would not buy a 20 footer! I have one as my spare (3rd trailer) and it is pretty useless for anything except moving a car to/from somewhere. I have cabinets along the front wall. There is hardly any room between them and the nose of the car. I used to keep our 89 Trans Am in there just as a garage until I bought my 2nd 30 footer. Now it is just a spare. I you have no cabinets and a scooter or some sort of bike and MAYBE a tool box in the corner you can make do with a 20 footer, otherwise move-on.

·
Registered
6,778 Posts
Never smaller than 24. I pulled my 24 with my 90 short bed Sport Truck. Just make sure trailer brakes work and good hitch with sway control.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I've went from a 20 ft enclosed to a 24 footer to a 28 ft..... Now I'm kicking around getting a 32+ foot trailer with a dragster lift..... A little extra room is always useful!

·
Registered
4,068 Posts
I would also recommend the 24" length. Resale value would be an issue on anything shorter.

Also, I'm not 100% sold on aluminum trailer frames. Aluminum work hardens and gets brittle over time. Remember when the front of Kye Kelly's trailer frame broke on his way to a Street Outlaws event? After that I talked to several knowledgable trailer people and a machinest friend. They recommended a steel frame for any trailer. Having said that, we all know how popular Featherlite trailers are. So, I guess I'm saying rhat you should do a little homework of your own as to frame material.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Friend of mine had a 20' he used for his vega. He upgraded to a 24' last year. When he sold his 20' took him quite awhile to get it sold, he just recently sold his 24' because he sold his car, and sold his 24' in 3 days. Just a little something to think about. 4' makes a huge difference when it comes to needing more space.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
I bought a 24’ Stealth Superlight with the v-nose. With my car and my golf cart it is really tight. I wish I would have went with the 28’. As far as the aluminum goes, this trailer is built really well.

·
EFI/N2O JUNKIE
16,598 Posts
Friend of mine had a 20' he used for his vega. He upgraded to a 24' last year. When he sold his 20' took him quite awhile to get it sold, he just recently sold his 24' because he sold his car, and sold his 24' in 3 days. Just a little something to think about. 4' makes a huge difference when it comes to needing more space.
I would bet I would have the same problem if I ever tried to sell my 30 foot Gooseneck. Sounds large, but with the cabinets along the front, the large generator box next to them, and losing 8 feet just for the storage area up front, there is NO floor space! My car fits fine, nothing else can go in front of it, it is practically the same floor space as my 20 foot TAG. It's fine though, I have no plans on ever selling it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts