Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to bounce this off the experts as I like as much input as possible when getting all of this set up.

I'd like to get a starter nitrous kit set up so that I can get a good base experience to grow with on my setup. Following is the skinny on what I've got to work with.

8.2:1 400 smallblock .030 over to 406 inches
Cast crank and stock rods
4-bolt main with ARP fasteners
Iron stock 400 heads that have been worked over and larger exhaust valves
Crane cams cam with a nitrous friendly grind (I'd have to check the specs)
Holley contender intake (I am not opposed to changing this)
Holley 650 demon carb
TH400 (will probably add a brake) with a BTE 3800 9" converter with balloon plates
GM 12 bolt rear with 3.43 gears, Moser axles, running 28X14.5 quicktime Pros

Fuel system:
16 gal cell with 8 feed line (my only return is from the pump back to the tank now, so advise on that setup is welcome)
A2000 pump and filter

Ignition:
MSD 6-BTM (purchased when I was going with a boost application so I stuck it on anyhow)
Blaster coil
Pro billet dist. with good wires, and its got A/C plugs in it now

Systems I currently posses:
OLD NOS cheater system (old enough to have the skinny 10# bottle)
New in Box NX hitman kit

Questions:
What can I spray to this setup without scattering stuff
What do you recommend for a regulator setup and new return setup (right now I am regulating with the built in regulator on the pump body)
This A2000 sounds like it could power a 747... do I really need to add a suppliment fuel delivery system for the nitrous kit??
Should I question the bottom end and the 12 bolt if I want to leave on the bottle off a brake?

For the last bit of info, this is in a 4000# truck.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I've sprayed 200 at a basically stock, 383 sbc, iron heads, nothing fancy at all. I try to keep it down around 150, but I've been doing it off and on for 5 years and it's still going strong. It's in a 3,500 lb Chevelle, small tire car, turbo 350, foot brake, stock 12 bolt posi rearend. It's been working good.

Things that would concern me:

Bigger tires. They will cause a LOT more stress on the drivetrain. That 12 bolt may not be up to the challenge in the long run, but it may hold up for years...
Transbrake will hit things a lot harder also, but it may be fine.

As far as the nitrous set-up, I don't like the cheater systems. Nitrous solenoid is finicky and won't open above about 1,000 lbs of pressure. I don't know anything about the NX hitman. I run an NOS Big Shot system on the Chevelle, even at smaller levels. More holes in the tubes for better distribution.

I don't run a separate regulator or fuel cell or anything at that level. Just tee'd off my fuel line and I adjust the tune for 7 lbs of fuel pressure. When I run Nitrous I just switch to 110 octane fuel or add a can of Torco in the tank.

You could get really fancy, but there is something really nice about keeping it simple if you are not going to go to big tune-ups. My camaro keeps me busy at higher tune-up levels.

Anyway, there is 2 cents worth of feedback.

·
T/S 368E
30,566 Posts

I never spray cast cranks & stocks rods, and will not help buddies that want to throw 200 at that combo.
I'm way too cheap, and I've seen way too many get hurt.
Yes, we know a lot more now a days, but that's asking for it in my book.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Its funny, i thought i was reading a receipt book from my build after reading the the first post. Im VERY interested in what you all have to say as well!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
200 was kind of the Max I was thinking really. I'd like to start at 150 and stop at 200 until its time for better internals.

·
TRUE STREET #441
2,476 Posts
Those stock rods, cast crank and that block are your weak points. I wouldn't hit it with more than a 65 or 70 jet in a plate.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Would someone in the OP's position be safer using a progressive for anything from 150-200?

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I agree with the "200 max" comment on this set-up. If it was a big block, I wouldn't hesitate for a second to hit it with 250 - 300 hp. Small block, 200 is pushing it on a stock rotating assembly and starting at 75 and working up is a good idea. Actually based on published horsepower numbers, I wouldn't go close to what they say 200 is. Depending on your set-up, you will get 150 hp out of a small combination of jets when you get it right. At a 63N/51F with 900 lbs bottle pressure and the fuel as I stated above, my car dropped from 8.8x's on motor to 7.50 in the 1/8th. If you do the math, that's a big horesepower increase.

A progressive will help with driveline components, big time. It eliminates the shock of the hit. Once things are turning, generally you are good.

My 383 only cost me $2000 and I've been using it for 5 years. I don't worry about it much anymore. If it goes, it goes. My only worry is my 16 year old daughter is running it now, so she is scaled way back. She ran motor all year and we made one pass on a 47N/41F jet which was pretty mild.... Next year she want's to run nitrous all year. She's got my blood :). I'll probably work her up to running 7.80's in the 1/8th. Whatever jets that ends up being. My guess is somewhere around a 60N/50F......

1 - 10 of 10 Posts