Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently starting to look into purchasing a newer diesel truck and was looking for some advice. Currently have a 2000 F-250 7.3L that has served me very well, but the time has come to get into a newer diesel model.

What seems to be the better overall choice (Ford vs. Chevy)
Any inherent + important problems to be concerned with on either 2014 model F-250/2500HD ?
Is the DEF fluid system a real PIA to deal with or not really ?

Lastly, have also considered trying to locate a really clean 08'-10' F-250 6.4L (No DEF system) Any thoughts ?

Just looking for real world feedback - NOT BRAND BASHING

Thanks for any helpful advice,
Tom Trip

·
Registered
961 Posts
Any details on your truck...? Ive gotta clean '08 F250 CCSB I may unload soon. Nothing against the truck, just thinking about cutting a payment.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
From what I hear DEF fluid last as long as an oil change. Change oil refill DEF reservoir. I bought a 12 Dodge to avoid DEF fluid.

·
Registered
42,591 Posts
6.4 fords are just as bad as 6.0's. If you don't buy a Dodge buy a 6.7 ford.
A local I know just traded his 6.7 for a Duramax because it spent more time in the shop then on the jobsite and left him stranded multiple times. He is very unhappy with the mileage on the Dmax, to soon to tell about reliability. If you really want a diesel, go with the Dodge.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Don't get a 6.4. The DEF trucks are no big deal, you will easily get used to it. If you want to avoid DEF and all the emissions choking out a new diesel, get a 7.3. Oh wait.....

·
Registered
2,813 Posts

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
DEF is nothing to be worried about, 2.5 gallon jug in 10,000mi. I have a 6.4 F350 pickup and a 2014 F350 6.7 Cab chassis with a flatbed for tow vehicles at work. The 6.4 will pull fully loaded up hill better than the 6.7 but from what I understand the cab chassis trucks are derated to keep people from over loading them and over working them. It will still hold highway speed up a long hill with 25k lbs behind it but you wont be passing anyone. Everyone that I have talked to with the 6.7 in a normal F250/350 loves it. They all get horseshit milage now.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
AS for my 7.3L CCSB, it has about 120,000mi, lifted 6" w/ Fabtech kit, 35's on it and SCT tuned/Silverline 4" turbo back, along with dynotune digital pillar gauges and really has been trouble free - which I'm not complaining about at all !

Just think I'm at the point where I would like to get into something a little newer thats all, but don't want to end up disappointed with a problem child so to speak !!

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Dodge started using DEF in 2012, that being said if you were gonna buy brand new I wouldn`t hesitate.

I sold my 06 a couple months back for family issues and I wish I would`ve held onto it, last year of the 5.9 and no DPF.

·
Godspeed TK!
8,989 Posts

·
Godspeed TK!
8,989 Posts
Dodge started using DEF in 2012, that being said if you were gonna buy brand new I wouldn`t hesitate.

I sold my 06 a couple months back for family issues and I wish I would`ve held onto it, last year of the 5.9 and no DPF.

My buddy just traded in his 2012 Dodge-it did NOT have def on it. my neighbor down the street has a 13' which does though.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts