Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
In the shop with my Vette
5,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So if one were to need a new set of rods and crank for a bbc, 7500 rpm and 750 horsepower. What would you get. top dollar stuff is not an option. I'm looking for opinions on something that is srtong enough to not be a worry, but affordable. I know the whole "budget and racing dont mix" If thats your opinion, please save it for another thread. I know eagle, scat, ohio, and a few others are options and not high quality. I just found that my "ARP"
8740 rod bolts are a chinese knock off. And I'm not willing to sacrafice my 10,000 motor for that. It has a new balanced scat 9000 in it now for a crank. I know that cranks is ok at best. But the rods have to go! What says the tech guys.

·
5,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Comp star would be my first choice, but it may be out of price range at this point. My thinking is, In a year or two I'm going to be doing a big upgrade on what I have. Either a pro charger or a big inch motor out of a dart block. And at that point it will get a lunati or callies crank. But since I'm undetermined on what I will do I dont want to spend 1500 on a crank right now. If I buy a premium 4.25 crank for the 496 now, and later I decide to build a 632, I cant reuse it. I could only get to a 565 with that. Sooooo, just trying to figure an economical solution that will get me racing now and be reliable for two seasons. I know lots of guys running in the nines at about 7000 on a scat 9000. So that could stay if needed. But again, those rods scare me.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Eagle 4340 Crank and their Hbeam Rods with a true 8740 ARP bolt would do you just fine at that power level.... or upgrade with the ARP2000 bolt if you want. Your Scat crank is plenty strong for your 496....stick with it. Just get a new set of rods and some SRP pistons. Get a good balance and assembly job... and let'r eat. You should be able to pound on that setup for a couple years no problem. My 2.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
I think the scat guys will say "keep the crank" and get a GOOD set of rods!(with good L-19 bolts or equal.) Always a good thing and NEVER a waste of money in my opinion. DR

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Ya dont need the L19's...

The head is fatter on them, thus more clearancing will be needed with a 496... let alone they are more susceptible to moisture and other contaminents. Overkill in my book.

Again, just my 2.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Why are you guys telling this guy to get l-19 bolts when he's only spinning this engine 7500. Cause you read it in some tech article somewhere. Waste of money and like mills said why risk the problem of hydrogen embattlement when the extra tensile strength in the bolts isn't needed. In my dads 500 co hemi engine that we spin to 8100 thru the lights with a 4.25 stroke crank and a 740 gram piston we have standard 8740 bolts. And they have 400 runs on them in a 3450lb car going between 9.74-9.90 most of the time. Spend your money in the right areas of the engine and you'll have more of it to build your next one

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Why are you guys telling this guy to get l-19 bolts when he's only spinning this engine 7500. Cause you read it in some tech article somewhere. Waste of money and like mills said why risk the problem of hydrogen embattlement when the extra tensile strength in the bolts isn't needed. In my dads 500 co hemi engine that we spin to 8100 thru the lights with a 4.25 stroke crank and a 740 gram piston we have standard 8740 bolts. And they have 400 runs on them in a 3450lb car going between 9.74-9.90 most of the time. Spend your money in the right areas of the engine and you'll have more of it to build your next one

:supz:

·
Registered
765 Posts
Comp star would be my first choice, but it may be out of price range at this point. My thinking is, In a year or two I'm going to be doing a big upgrade on what I have. Either a pro charger or a big inch motor out of a dart block. And at that point it will get a lunati or callies crank. But since I'm undetermined on what I will do I dont want to spend 1500 on a crank right now.
The Callies Compstar is only $683 in the competition products book. You're thinking of the Callies Magnum crank for $1500. The Compstar would be my choice for your build.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I've ran the scat 9000 in several 496 combos and they all worked just fine. Naturally the compstar or 4340 scat would be better, but if your going to upgrade soon i wouldn't change now. The rod bolts are marginal, but replacing the bolts and having the big ends checked for round would add alot of insurance.

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Hey Hitchcock what rear is in the vette in your avatar. Im in the process of tying to throw a 9 inch in the back of back of my 69. What kinda suspension setup are yOu running. Looks good

·
5,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey Hitchcock what rear is in the vette in your avatar. Im in the process of tying to throw a 9 inch in the back of back of my 69. What kinda suspension setup are yOu running. Looks good

Its a fab 9. Nine inch ford with a strange aluminum center and a 4 link. hang on, I'll get some pics for ya...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hello Hitchcock,

Why not consider the Howard's Track Smart "American Made" Crank @ $595.00 and the Howard's Track Smart "American Made" Sportsman Rods w/ARP 2000 rod bolts, rated for 750 HP @ $629.00. Or you might consider the Howard's Ultimate Billet rods also "American Made", rated @ 1,000+ HP @ $849.00. People tend to forget that we have excellent competitive choices, made right here in the USA, with competive pricing and superior quality to the imported products.

Bernard Mondello

·
RED ROCKET
8,635 Posts
eagle crank and rods with L-19 bolts can't beat it

i agree...thats what i have in both my cars..if you go L19 bolts and add a bottle later they will hold up..no bottle and the stock bolt would be fine imo.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts