Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Put together a new car this year...BBC 565,Dart 355 CNC,13.5:1,Reher Morrison roller and Intake set-up with Pro systems Dominator, t-400 w/hughes 6100 stall, 3400# chevelle w/13X31 tires, 4.10 gear. Car initially went 9.25 @143 before it ate a rod bearing. Analysis of the rods indicated out of round condition on big end.
Engine rebuilt w/new rods.
I only got a chance to put on 1 pass since rebuild.....car went [email protected] . The differences from the 9. 25 pass to 9.64 were as follows: Adjusted altitude 877' vs 2500', and the timing on the 9.25 was set at 40degrees vs.36 degrees on the slow pass. The car leaves hard.. wheels up), and had a hesitation at the top of first gear, before the gear change.It felt like fuel starvation or valve float...but I only went to 7000 on the first gear change.
THe float level appears o.k. middle of sight plug and the carb has jet extensions on the rear with the appropriate float. Also, the 60' was off .06 from the previous passes.
Once it got past the hesitation, the car pulled hard the rest of the run. made the 2/3 gear change at 7200 with no hesitation.
Looking for a few suggestions/thoughts on what to look for first. Given the DA and track conditions, I didn't expect another 9.25, but 40 would have been more in the ball park. Thanks in advance for ideas.

·
Registered
71,873 Posts
How old is the fuel on the pass after the rebuild ?

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
About 6-8 weeks old......sat in the fuel cell.....
First get rid of the fuel and you might want to take your fuel filter and carb apart and inspect for debris.
If the timimg was at 40 in the better conditions it would want 41 or more in worse conditions.It should run within a tenth from 800-1000DA to 3000DA...IMO

·
Registered
71,873 Posts
First get rid of the fuel and you might want to take your fuel filter and carb apart and inspect for debris.
If the timimg was at 40 in the better conditions it would want 41 or more in worse conditions.It should run within a tenth from 800-1000DA to 3000DA...IMO
X2

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. I "ll do both next time out. I suspected the timing was an issue but did not consider the old fuel. Come to think of it , I had a similiar problem a few years ago with old fuel. I'll post results after next test.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts