Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
putting together a twin turbo sbf 302 and was wondering what oil to use on it.. clevite H main bearings are at .0012.. connecting rods haven't put them in but should be .0015 or so. Using regular flow oil pump... was thinking 10-30 oil?

hydraulic roller 6K or so max rpm

·
Registered
16,782 Posts
Yikes good luck lol

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's a street only car. Daily driven 2.24 main journal
And had many miles on the build and bearings
Looked good

Freshened new rings and bearings

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Looked good

.0012 to .0015. Ran great. Why to tight?

·
Registered
16,782 Posts
Looked good

How much boost you running ?

·
Registered
16,782 Posts
FordSux:
For a ford what's a Gap you guys use?
I'm no expert but from all the motors I built the ones with tight Braring Clarence heat up the bearing more and they start to breakdown I would run synthetic oil but thats up to you . And the other thing about tight clearances the crank must be Machined perfect or it gets scary . But like I said run a good brand oil and you should be fine .

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have MS-590H-10 main bearings, I believe they sell bearings with a slight larger size correct? not sure which one I need to get

·
Registered
5,941 Posts
You need some X bearings on rods and mains. Just a range but .0022-.0028 on rods and .0025-.0030 on mains depending on boost, RPM, Use, operating temp etc. Tight works some times, Loose works every time.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You need some X bearings on rods and mains. Just a range but .0022-.0028 on rods and .0025-.0030 on mains depending on boost, RPM, Use, operating temp etc. Tight works some times, Loose works every time.

So will need thicker oil after opening
Up tolerance?

·
Registered
17,417 Posts
Those are the clearances I look for on my engine. You really have to know what you're doing and have everything right to run anything tighter than .002". I don't think tight is a good idea for a turbo engine.

Remember, you need enough oil running past the bearings to cool them.

·
Registered
5,941 Posts
Pretty sure off the top of my head the H11 is the "X" bearing being .010 +.001

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Pretty sure off the top of my head the H11 is the "X" bearing being .010 +.001
had a hard time locating a +.001 on .010 bearing.

I wound up calling king bearing and told them I needed .001 more clearance from existing MS590H-10 bearing.

They told me I needed MB 529HP .010X bearing set, so I ordered a set. if I do get .001 more clearance, my mains should be at or very close to .0025

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Does these specs apply to 351W turbo engine build with larger journals?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts