Yellow Bullet Forums banner

New build...Gas, E85, or Methanol

5K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  Horndog 
#1 ·
Just picked up a car to finish for next year. It's an old Super Stocker that's been sitting for quite a while. Car needs new fuel cell, lines, etc. I have an E85 Dominator, and a Magnafuel 300 pump, but that's it. Should I just keep my carb and run this thing on E85 (from a drum, not a pump), go to gas which is what I'm used to from previous experience, or switch to methanol? Bracket racing. Engine is not done yet but I expect close to 700hp.

#3 ·
I believe most will suggest what they run so all three will probably get votes. If you feel okay with it since you already have the e85 Dominator then run it. The pump is more than enough and should run well. The downside to e85 is you don't get as much cooling as Methanol or as much torque but it is cheaper than that or gas. Plus I don't care for the smell of the exhaust.

I'm partial to Methanol because it almost doesn't move over race day, you can hot lap as much as you want, it makes tons of torque and you can't ignore the cost savings over gas. I have never run gas but if that is what you are familiar with then you can't go wrong there either, other than cost. Today's fuels and software technology make predicting much easier with gas than the past.

So I guess really the choice can only be made by you and I'm not much help. LOL

Curtis

#4 ·
Do yourself a favor and replumb everything with Teflon lined hose. That was no matter what gas or how long it sits the lines will not degrade.

#6 ·
I may have looked at it wrong way. When you say gas are you talking pump. Your well in the range of pump gas power,

I'm not sure where you are but for me methanol is way out of my budget. Being so expensive and the volume needed make it a killer. Best I found for e98 is about 6 dollars a gallon. Methanol about 8 dollars a gallon. E85 at pump is under 2.30 a gallon

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.