Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
A bad example for others
35,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did some testing at KID Saturday night and ran a 10.40 @ 130 mph in the 330 Dodge.

Pretty happy as that was at 3,650 lbs., pump gas and through the mufflers.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Naynay- Nifty Chevy. Way back in my misspent youth, I saw a similar beast. It had a 540" stroker built from a tall deck truck block. He had the sleeper thing down pat. The spacers required to run an Edelbrock C-454 intake were blended in, the intake was painted Chevy orange, and the stock Chevy valve covers still had the 396 stickers on them. I don't know what carb he ran, but he had a factory GM dual-snorkle air cleaner housing- the kind with two short oval inlets- but with a lid from a 283 that was the same dia as the filter. The only real give-away was the exhaust. Headers with stock mufflers and turn downs. Column shift T400 with a shift kit. Almost anything could put a car length on him in first gear. Then, he'd just reel 'em in and spit 'em out. He had a fairly mild juice cam in it, too. It just simply had more torque than any of us hicks had ever seen.

·
Aviation Section
23,267 Posts
Neat! Thanks for sharing with us! Dave

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
Congrats! Good old school stuff. When I bought my Elky over 10 years ago,it was in the 12's,427 BBC 4 speed. Kept whittlin' away,ended up at the end of one season with a 11.01 best. So pizzed off,couldn't get it into the 10's.
Pulled the old 215 oval iron heads off that winter,had Ladds Porting service do a little massage on them, put thinner steel shim head gaskets on,to bump the compression up a little. Next spring,very first pass down the track,10.97! Helluva feeling,never forget it.
Don't run it much now anymore,best is 10.45 128. Still a thrill for an old fart,yanking them gears!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts