Yellow Bullet Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
If you want power, endurance, and reliability the 532 can deliver all of that. On pump gas with AFR325 heads your looking at 800HP/720#/ft all below 7000 rpm and all very usable. This using a stroke that GM had for decades in the BBC.
Good info, thanks,
So in a similar built engine say 13:1 comp, AFR 325's each cammed for the same usage goals etc etc. What would be the smart route and what would the power differences be between say a 532, 540, 555
Next question is guys recommending a 4.5'' crank. That would move me up into much bigger cube engine territory. That's fine, I have no problem with considering that. Will these heads support a build that big? I presume it would be over 580cid with that crank

·
Mike
7,100 Posts
At 4.5 your getting up into more windage issues, and maybe looking at a tall deck block. 4.25 has a lot of followers, 4.375 is "tolerated" for the short deck(LOL), but your getting out of the CFM capabilities of the head I would think. The 325s would bring your RPM range down a bit at bigger CID.

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
Good info, thanks,
So in a similar built engine say 13:1 comp, AFR 325's each cammed for the same usage goals etc etc. What would be the smart route and what would the power differences be between say a 532, 540, 555
Next question is guys recommending a 4.5'' crank. That would move me up into much bigger cube engine territory. That's fine, I have no problem with considering that. Will these heads support a build that big? I presume it would be over 580cid with that crank
Less stroke equals more longevity. If your wanting something tat will spin to 7500 rpm, giving it 13 to 1, an around 900HP, then the 532 will get it done and give you longest in reliability. A 4.25, 4.375, and 4.5 will give the that power and more, but won't have the longevity. A 532's rod stroke ratio is the same as a 350 SB. We all know how long those things run.

If in Alberta....ProStock Performance in Edmonton, Randy, is good people.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Less stroke equals more longevity. If your wanting something tat will spin to 7500 rpm, giving it 13 to 1, an around 900HP, then the 532 will get it done and give you longest in reliability. A 4.25, 4.375, and 4.5 will give the that power and more, but won't have the longevity. A 532's rod stroke ratio is the same as a 350 SB. We all know how long those things run.

If in Alberta....ProStock Performance in Edmonton, Randy, is good people.
Would 900hp be achievable with heads and intake as is or would they need porting work done? Also what size of header would be best in this application. I currently have 2''X3.5 but I think those would act as a choke in a higher hp build like this one.

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
Would 900hp be achievable with heads and intake as is or would they need porting work done? Also what size of header would be best in this application. I currently have 2''X3.5 but I think those would act as a choke in a higher hp build like this one.
Going to need a larger intake valve and bowl work. Header size based on 7500 would need to be 2.250"

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
Piston lm on the road today. I do agree with some of what Chris said. Remember this is a performance engine that you will be beating on and possibly spraying. We heve no issue with 4.25 qnd larger cranks lasting with RPMS. Your not putting this in a tow truck and trying to get 100000 miles out of it.

If you can get E85 that would really help. We have many pump gas BBc with ported GM dual plane intakes and heads that go well over 700hp. These are 475 and smaller.

Our shop is going thru some changes due to a death and some things associated with that loss. But look up

Speedstore.ca

John

21 - 27 of 27 Posts