Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just put a new 408 LS in my car. The motor has held great oil pressure since the very first startup 60+ cold idling. Put some street miles on it to break it in with 0 problems and changed the oil and filter.

Took my car for a test and tune and started figuring the timing and jetting. Everything went great until the 7th pass of the day it dropped oil pressure at a 1000 foot.

After seeing this I just packed it up and headed home. I have not let it run any time like it is other than troubleshooting.

I confirmed the oil pressure with a different gauge. I have changed the filter to confirm it wasn't collapsed. I have confirmed there is no broken valve train. There was no metal on the dipstick and pouring the oil from the filter out over a white bottle showed no flakes or anything.

It has 15-20 lbs hot Where it was 40. It has around 40 cold now with a new filter where it was 60+.

This is a new motor with a 10295 melling oil pump.

My guess is cam bearing spun.

I'm hoping someone else can give me a idea other than that. Any help is appreciated as always?

Should I just pull the whole engine or try and pull the cam in car and see where it goes?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Check the oil pump pick up tube and make sure the o-ring is ok. I'v had trouble with the o-ring on the pick up to cause cavitation. Just something to look at.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Same guess as above or bypass piston stuck partially open in oil pump.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The NEW short block had a crank in it that was .004 bent. It was taking out the thrust bearing the whole time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts