Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats up everyo0ne just looking for some help.
I have a 2000 camaro im wanting to build a motor for it, it will be mostly a grudge car i was thinking 402/408 but thats not set in stone i want reliable horsepower and i want to be able to drive it around town. without it overheating. i would also like to run e-85. what are some good options i want to make around 600-700 on motor and hit it with a healthy dose of n2o. i need info on everything internals,heads, cam, intake, and opinions on transmissions, right now the car has a glide because i killed the 4l60 and thats all i had laying around. should i switch to a th400 or keep the glide?
thanks for all the help Justin

·
LSXTTFMF
927 Posts
A 6-700 rwhp 402-408 isn't gonna be streetable NA. 600-650 crank hp on the other hand is attainable and possible to keep it streetable.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Really i have no budget set because i will be buying parts as the money comes. I want to do it right the first time. What could get me 6-700 hp to the wheels on motor? More cubes? I like the lsx blocks all except for the weight of them. Also turbo could be in the future that's mine main goal its just nitrous is cheaper to do. There's a car I've seen on here with twin tc78s i believe. I would love to have that setup withe a 427 or 434 lsx i just don't know how much something like that would cost. Also any insight on the pg would help I've heard mixed opinions on it my car will be around 2950 with me in it 430 gear is what i was leaning towards in the rear if that helps

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
I have a 14.5 to 1 408 for sale if that would fit your bill. Anything less then 250 it would be fine nitrous wise, any more then that the rings will need to be regapped. Should make a good 700 hp at the crank. Compression wise I think the E85 would be min fuel I would run, there is a .045 gasket in the motor, little thicker gasket and the compression could drop a little bit and be a little more friendly.

Shoot me a PM if you're interested, save ya alot of time and $

At your weight and rear gear a glide wil be fine. 1.8 ratio 1st gear and it should be good.

·
Registered
9,246 Posts
Not sure where you are located, but I came across a good deal on a used 408 with ported L92 heads like $5500. New that combo would be $10K I'd think.

Based on the way you are talking, you should look at it this way:

Engine, new $10 G's. 408 iron can make 600 hp and you can drive it and use stock fans.
Nitrous, $1500
Trans TH400, $1400 plus $700 for a converter from PTC
9" rearend $2500 new, look for used deals if you want.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
6-700 rwhp NA is not a budget streetable setup. 600-700 fwhp setup wouldnt be to bad. To keep it cheep id build a 396(big nitrous) like we had with eagle crank(or callies for a few $ more) compstar rods, good nitrous pistons...plenty of options there. Mast's c5r inline head. mast's intake. solid roller with the morrel drop in solid lifters, t&D rockers. 4 vain vac pump with a melling oil pump . keep compression around 11 and rock e85 na and something better for the 400 shot.(C23). Do a DP so you can control the heat in the back of the motor with nitrous jet and you could even tune it on a stock pcm if a fast or BS3 is out of budget.

We have built a few of these for customers with street cars. very stout combo.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
6-700 rwhp NA is not a budget streetable setup. 600-700 fwhp setup wouldnt be to bad. To keep it cheep id build a 396(big nitrous) like we had with eagle crank(or callies for a few $ more) compstar rods, good nitrous pistons...plenty of options there. Mast's c5r inline head. mast's intake. solid roller with the morrel drop in solid lifters, t&D rockers. 4 vain vac pump with a melling oil pump . keep compression around 11 and rock e85 na and something better for the 400 shot.(C23). Do a DP so you can control the heat in the back of the motor with nitrous jet and you could even tune it on a stock pcm if a fast or BS3 is out of budget.

We have built a few of these for customers with street cars. very stout combo.
what would a setup like that run?

·
Beer me!!
22,507 Posts
I personally would build an engine that makes 550ish on motor, and is reliable on the street, but has good enough parts to handle a big shot of spray. I wouldn't want a ratty, high compression engine, when I wouldn't need it, but that's just me. Every consider forced induction? Maybe that would be more suitable for your application?

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
no one wants a "ratty high compresion motor". From experiance a well built motor(compression is a small part of it) can have a reasonable enough compression to run 93 octain or e85 and still make power. Fuel injection is your friend. There are to many "facts" that are just not true any more dealing with compression, octain, solid cams(inc lift), rod design, stroke etc. Our streetable 396 had a solid cam, eagle crank, callies rods, diamond pistons, 10.5-11 compression and made a good bit more than "550" and could be driven anywhere. It ran 5.4 in a very streetable setup and went 5.2 in a more "race" setup. We helped shawn strous with his stock headed stock pcm setup go real fast this year on a 32 jet
(or what ever wcf rules said). That car is awsome and could be driven anywhere.

·
Beer me!!
22,507 Posts
no one wants a "ratty high compresion motor". From experiance a well built motor(compression is a small part of it) can have a reasonable enough compression to run 93 octain or e85 and still make power. Fuel injection is your friend. There are to many "facts" that are just not true any more dealing with compression, octain, solid cams(inc lift), rod design, stroke etc. Our streetable 396 had a solid cam, eagle crank, callies rods, diamond pistons, 10.5-11 compression and made a good bit more than "550" and could be driven anywhere. It ran 5.4 in a very streetable setup and went 5.2 in a more "race" setup. We helped shawn strous with his stock headed stock pcm setup go real fast this year on a 32 jet
If you know all this, why are you asking people what they would do? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
598 Posts
It ran 5.4 in a very streetable setup and went 5.2 in a more "race" setup. We helped shawn strous with his stock headed stock pcm setup go real fast this year on a 32 jet
Steve aka^^ and ATVRacer helped me out with my whole build and tuneup. My car went 5.46 @ 127 1.21 60'. That was on a 32N jet which was required by the wcf rules as said. Knowing what I know I wouldn't have bothered with that race and put some 36 jets in it. The car had mid to high 30s in it maybe with the bigger jets and some more weight out of it. Steve knows his shit when it comes to building an engine. He specked my whole engine aside from my stock ported heads and the used hydrolic cam we had laying around the shop. I'm sure if he picked the cam it would have done much better.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts