Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for something in Reno NV for a college student. Something under $3k and you would trust your child in. Current car was totaled and need something as she works part time and college full time. Whats out there?

·
Age of Acquiescence
31,452 Posts
Something under $3k and you would trust your child in.
There is nothing out there that fits that description for this parent.

What you gain in "Cheap" and compact you sacrifice in "Safe"

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Grab that Honda....my daughter had one thru 4 years of college and still had it 3 years later. Never had any problems. She traded it in on a new Accord.

·
Registered
5,154 Posts
Reno has all kinds of weather. I would step up on the money and find a used Subaru with all wheel drive. Still going cheap? Get a Honda or Toyota

·
Trolling the Trolls
15,142 Posts
I would NEVER own a 7th gen Civic, 2001-2005 or 8th Gen 2006-2010.

01-05 have front suspenion issues with the bushings, need replaced every 60-80k miles

06-08 have engine blocks that will crack, new engine (if in stock) is $4,000 installed.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
I did not know there are that many members of YB that live in Reno that would make this post even possible.

The more you know.

I'm in So cal!

I just know what is a good car and what is junk.

Crown Victoria if you want a gas guzzler but bigger car
Civic if you want a cheap transpo but is still sporty and only needs oil and gas
Toyota small Truck and jeep wrangler but not for 3k.

·
Age of Acquiescence
31,452 Posts
to a point you are correct , but we all cant go buy our kids a new Suburban
A mid size sedan to a full size sedan is "Safer" then a compact tuna box.
No need to step up to a Suburban, if unable to afford.

I would just opt for a mid size at the absolute minimum.
However, the Mercury Grand Marquiz is safer and heavier......just sucks on gas.

Plenty of old fart Buicks and Grand Marquiz out there massively depreciated in great condition, and low miles

·
Wart Remover
2,731 Posts

Plenty of old fart Buicks and Grand Marquiz out there massively depreciated in great condition, and low miles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExQUGk12S8U
Does tuna actually come in a box nowadays? I'm missing out.

I agree with not getting a small car, I wouldn't want my kid in a something as fragile as a sardine bag!

·
Former RJ instigator
41,607 Posts
Something safe, safety for young drivers is of the utmost importance, they are easily distracted, you can replace the mangled up car, but you cannot replace your loved ones.

·
Banned
11,534 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExQUGk12S8U
yup. every year, there is a few 5 star small car wrecks that everyone dies, local wrecks.
Last fall it was 2 highschool kids, one passenger in the back lived. hit a tree . d.o.a.
The sad part is there was a cop doing a speed trap, and the radar gun clocked them at 43mph. on a 40mph road. car was a mess. 5 star kia. did in two people at 43mph into a tree. yup put the kid in a grand mark or crown vic.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Not understanding the Crown Vic gas guzzler statements. Say what you want, but my 97 town car with 4.6 gets 19.5 around town and you don't have to be poured into it. My wife's 18 V6 Edge gets 20.7. Around town mileage i sure don't see much difference especially for 21 years of technology. Had a neighbor on his 2nd Mercury because of the mileage. He sold the first for a truck and regretted it, found another to drive back and forth to work because of the mileage.

·
Former RJ instigator
41,607 Posts
Not understanding the Crown Vic gas guzzler statements. Say what you want, but my 97 town car with 4.6 gets 19.5 around town and you don't have to be poured into it. My wife's 18 V6 Edge gets 20.7. Around town mileage i sure don't see much difference especially for 21 years of technology. Had a neighbor on his 2nd Mercury because of the mileage. He sold the first for a truck and regretted it, found another to drive back and forth to work because of the mileage.
X2, my almost 20 year old Lincoln towncar gets right @ 21 MPG in town and almost 27 on the highway, those 4.6's are very efficient little V8's.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts