Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sold my turbo 400 to a racer with a 10 sec gn turbo v6 car...
I had the trans in my car for years problem free.

I make much more power and also street driven..8sec with 1.32 60 foots...

Thing is this trans was in my car still being mint...He goes to track on his second pass ..after he leaves the lines it explodes...It broke at the case .
This trans was built by a very reputable shop that does tons of race trans and has never heard this happen in over many years of doing them...
also we at scrivener performance never had a 400 fail like this either even in faster cars than mine...

cant understand but everyone i talked to about this thinks he hit the trans brake some way somehow after he left the line...

member this car is a v6 turbo running 10s.

this was a stout piece for me with ultrabell,hipster pro brake,all the bells and whisstles and was flawless for me for years.....

any comments on what could of happened would be helpful...
I did not wanted to sell it but i needed cash at the time and i switched to a PG..and im very upset this happened to an awesome piece
thanx paul

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
well we took it apart hutch and found the first gear sprag broken and the first gear clutches burned....man the case has a huge hole in it :shock:

·
Super Moderator
19,356 Posts
It happens, all 3 speeds are prone to this problem if the trans is put into certain scenarios. If the driveline ever has breakage , driveshaft ,rear axle failure or any time there is a sudden loss of traction simulating driveline breakage the low roller clutch gets hit hard which usually flattens the roller springs. After that happens its just a matter of time until there is an explosion upon launch.
Without the roller clutch intact the trans has no low and runs the high gear drum in excess of 2 times input shaft speed where the drum reaches critical speed quickly and its over. TH400 convertible.
This can also happen if the trans is neutraled after a pass.
Hopefully nobody got hurt and there was a shield in place that did its job.

It happens sometimes and it doesn't have to be a fast car to happen to.

Take care ,Hutch

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanx hutch.ya there was a trans shield on it it did its job..even bent it a bit thats how hard it hit :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts