Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to build a tubular transmission crossmember for my 72 442 and was wondering what size and thickness is needed?

·
Registered
1,367 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have the Lemons crossmember in my car. It's a nice piece.

·
Information Desk
1,885 Posts
I have one for my 71 Buick that I haven't installed yet. The part # that you are looking for is #CVLXL and retails for $250 from Lemons Headers. I would, however, call and varify that this will fit your exact engine, trans, chassis before ordering. The chromoly crossmember weighs in at 7lbs. Their number is 805-239-8998. Dave is a great guy to deal with!

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
237 is the price I was quoted.

Dan* is a wicked guy! Awesome to deal with. The crossmember is for short style tails on the 400's. I'm an LS/th400 deal but the Chevelle guys are lucky an its super easy to drill new holes if needed!

·
Go Phuck youself
12,353 Posts
why buy anything unless you loss yours. after i boxed in my frame i cut the ends off my oem crossmember unit and welded a piece of tube at each end using a 5/8 bolt to attach it to new ears welded on the box in frame. Oem is 1/8 material. Mine is a A body 64 chevelle

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
why buy anything unless you loss yours. after i boxed in my frame i cut the ends off my oem crossmember unit and welded a piece of tube at each end using a 5/8 bolt to attach it to new ears welded on the box in frame. Oem is 1/8 material. Mine is a A body 64 chevelle
smaller diameter pipe, less weight, stronger, and rides tight to the floor pan so you can tuck exhaust up higher. I've done the stock crossmember deal and you can't tuck the exhaust up well at all.

·
Go Phuck youself
12,353 Posts
smaller diameter pipe, less weight, stronger, and rides tight to the floor pan so you can tuck exhaust up higher. I've done the stock crossmember deal and you can't tuck the exhaust up well at all.

Ok noted but just saying your motor maybe to high off the mounts causing header problems or headers were to short in height, but i dought new one would be any stronger then oem one.
I run tall deck BBC and .750 higher exh ports and dont have them problems using Hooker headers. 2 1/8 tubes but my set wraps the one tube outside frame on each side maybe thats the diff in design causing your problems. I do realize theres room to go up alittle. Thanks for the insite. Good luck

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Ok noted but just saying your motor maybe to high off the mounts causing header problems or headers were to short in height, but i dought new one would be any stronger then oem one.
I run tall deck BBC and .750 higher exh ports and dont have them problems using Hooker headers. 2 1/8 tubes but my set wraps the one tube outside frame on each side maybe thats the diff in design causing your problems. I do realize theres room to go up alittle. Thanks for the insite. Good luck
No worries. I'm a LS1 deal with a th400. engine sits fairly low. Plus the car is lowered a fair bit. Trying to run dual 3.5" out the back. My 15" rim in the rear is flush with the fender lip.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts