Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for recommendations. I need to buy two of them. They should be able to read accurately down to .55 Lambda. Controller should provide linear 0-5V output corresponding to Lambda. I do not need a gauge but if that's how your favorite one comes, I'm OK with that.

I've been through several LC-1's and was not happy with quality/lifespan. The $200 AEM UEGO kits have held up great for me but they don't read low enough for my new setup.

What does the Bullet suggest?

Fuel is methanol. Thanks-

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
9,523 Posts
I have only found the ECM and NTK units able to read that low. They use the same NTK sensor and are roughly $1500-1800.

·
Registered
49,841 Posts
NGK AFX but its a bit flaky down there.

·
Smoked another CTD
3,956 Posts
I know they are not cheap but I highly recommend ECM products. I own AFM 1500 SMB which has the high speed serial output the plugs into my EFI Live V2 hand held. Works great. I used a Innovate LC-1 before this. No comparison. Now what I have will not do what you want to do but the AFM-1000A-1b will.

I was not real excited about the cost but Greg Banish put it to me like this. You spent how much on your engine? Why not do it justice buying a top end O2 setup. That made sense to me.

Also call ECM and talk to Ron Patrick. Just make sure you have time to talk. He is very helpful and cut me a deal on my setup.

One last thing. ECM makes the NTK AFX meter.

·
Registered
143 Posts
ECM would be the way to go.. If your looking for a good inexpensive NGK meter, me and a friend of mine had some designed using NGK sensors with a lambda range of .5 ~ 1.2. They are NTK AFX based and I have used them for the past 2 years or more with ethanol, methanol, etc and have had excellent results..

PM if your interested..

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Meth engines run very rich mixtures.

To put it into numbers most people understand, on the gas scale you might run your turbo engine @ 11.5-12 with gasoline but on methanol guys run from high eights to low nines on the gas scale.

On the meth scale this is 3.9-4.2 or around 0.62 Lambda. Same amount of fuel, just different way of writing it down. Think gallons versus liters, PSI vs KPA, etc. Lambda stays the same regardless of fuel.

I plan to tune with plug reading and EGTs on each cylinder but wanted the AFR meter for additional info. Looks like I might just skip the meter due to cost but that NGK AFX system is still a possibility for me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts