Yellow Bullet Forums banner

Need Street Racing Advice

12K views 198 replies 55 participants last post by  crfbenny 
#1 ·
A little back ground info.....
I live in a small town (which will remain nameless) and we are 2 hours from any type of dragstrip and there are a bunch of fast cars here. We have a few rules... Everybody runs a straightdrive and everybody runs the first pass on the motor, the looser gets to spray on the second pass. This has gotten to be a pretty heated deal and everyone has gotten serious about it.

Now my question..
What works good on the road? I know there are alot of you street racers out there with alot of good advice.

My car is a mustang trunk car with a Vic Jr Headed 408 and a proshifted Tremec TKO. It has every piece of UPR fully adjustable suspension. The motor prob makes over 600hp at the flywheel and it also has a direct port kit from NOS which we have plummed but not wired in yet. I have the normal goodies like MSD, alumn rad/fan, 2 big fuel systems, FAST air/fuel meter, line lock and MSD launch controller (2 step) etc etc...

What tires work good on the road??
We have been using 26X10.50 ET Drags and have to run about 14.5lbs of air to keep em from walking. We tried a set of 27x11.50 Hoosier QTP but they don't seem to get as much traction. I heard Mickey Thompson ET Street Radials work better than anything but haven't had a chance to try any yet. Does anyone know about these? Next... VHT. Will treating my tires in this help at all? I heard you can roll a bunch of this stuff on and wrap em in saran wrap to make em stickier but nobody really told me for how long and im worried if i do it too long the tire will come apart....? Does anyone have experience doing this? Also can i put this out on the road to spin in before i run and how hot do i need to get my tires to run on the road?

My experience so far has been to not use anything to spin in just hold them for just about 7 or 8 seconds just to get the dust off of em and minimum heat in the tires. I got em too hot one time and it was like trying to race on radials.

Next... Weight. We obiviously are having hooking problems so we stuffed every piece of weight we could find in the trunk of my car (flywheels, sfi bellhousings, covertors, chain etc) Ended up being like 300lbs. Now i know we need to get real weight and mount it securely and we are working on that and I also know that weight will slow you down but im not sure how much. Does anybody know? I heard a tenth for every 100lbs....? We need some advice on this.

Next.... We use the MSD launch controlled wired in with our line lock to bring the car outta the hole and this seems to work perfect because you can adjust it from inside the car with the knobs (no rpm pills) We usually get it to leave good around 2600rpms.

What i want to know from you guys is any tricks, any good advice, any experience here would be greatly appreciated. We have been out hooking our opponents and winning so far but we wanna keep that up and get better. Thanks for any positive replys and if ur gonna start preaching to me about how we don't need to be street racing just keep those post to urself. This is a tradition in my very small town that has went on for generations and we think we do it very safely. Thanks for ur help.

See less See more
#2 ·
I know im hated for even being into street racing on this website,but...i will say this and keep it short and sweet! It sounds like you already have the car figured out and drag radials do work on the street....alot of our boys just run slicks! Prep your spot alot is all i can say....keep it swep clean and VHT the shit out of the lanes before and after the starting line(especially with a stick car)!!!

#15 ·
Thanks, Anyone have any tricks up their sleeve?

Buy a truck, trailer and drive your stupid ass to the track!

News, maryland street racing crash, offbeat news, washington street racing crash..., maryland, street racing, washington

Maryland Street Racing Crash Leaves 8 Dead, One Crumpled Crown Vic

A white Ford Crown Victoria plowed into a group of street-racing fans on a highway about 20 miles south of Washington, D.C. on Saturday, killing eight people and scattering bodies in the early morning darkness. In addition to the fatalities, at least five other spectators were injured of the 50 or so people gathered before dawn along Route 210 in little Accokeek, MD to watch cars drag down the usually quite deserted stretch of blacktop. Here's what happened according to the AP:

Maryland Street Racing Crash Kills Eight

"Fans had spilled onto the smoky, dark road to watch the cars drive away when a white Ford Crown Victoria unexpectedly came up from behind and smashed into them. "There were just bodies everywhere; it was horrible," said Crystal Gaines, 27, of Indian Head, whose father was killed.
Police interviewed the Crown Victoria driver, but no charges were pending, Copeland said. Authorities were looking for the drivers of the two cars involved in the race.
The combination of the smoke and the dark morning likely meant the unsuspecting driver could not see the crowd, police said. A tractor-trailer that came by shortly afterward may also have struck someone on the roadside as it tried to avoid the crash scene, according to investigators."
Oh, the humanity! Oh, the horror! Oh, how they shoulda rented some track time.

#10 ·
maybe you could help him trailer his car to a track, since you've got such a strong opnion about it. lord knows someone so against someting might also have the notion to try and help fix something they hate so much, rather then just talk about it. its a choice he makes, period. if you dont like it too bad, anyone remember the NHRA started from a group of street racers? dont foget your roots, just cause you like what you've become.

#6 ·
Put the car in reverse and launch, it get's `em everytime.

#8 ·
By my experiance, you get a better thrill if you build a ramp about 100 feet out. Pedal as fast as you can and bet your buddies how far you can fly. The one that goes the farthest wins. Unless someone wipes out and breaks a bone, then that dude is the automatic winner. :D

#14 ·
ok here we go, ill try and help since no one else will. First of all i dont street race but have been to many serious ones. yes supposedly even 100 lbs = 1/10th from what i heard. try preping the lane really good with no weight in the car if it dont work then add weight. as far as the VHT, have a buddy put it in a water bottle, put a puddle in front of the tires, now proceed to burn out in the puddle then carry the burnout out a way to leave some rubber in the lane. do this two or three times. USE SLICKS, radials are hard to figure out. go test this out by yourself one day in those lanes or maybe somewhere else to see if you can get a good launch. i have heard of people also putting 50/50 VHT and alcohol in a hudson sprayer and spraying the lane then lighting it on fire? hope this helps. win enough money so u can build a track close to home, or u can move closer to a track. ;)

#16 ·
im not one for street racing. although growing up in south jersey i have raced in philly, south jersey and newark. and have seen many big money closed door races as well and consequently seen some people get hurt and killed. drive the two hours to go to your nearest track. yeah, its a pain in the ass but all of us have worked hard over the years to build things like NHRA, ADRL, NSCA ORSCA etc... so that people would have a safe environment to race in. doing it on the streets now just underminds all of our accomplishments and gives us real racers a bad name.

#17 ·
I got a job and a truck and a trailer.

Listen; my car is still sitting on the trailer from going to the track on saturday nite. Im not poor, I don't need a second job and I don't need uns jackasses telling me i don't need to be racing on the road when you don't know the circumstances. There is no danger of people getting ran over because their are no cars on the road where we race, we have never seen a passer by at 1 in the morning. I said we live in small town and thats what i meant, for those of you that don't live in a small town and don't understand that i'm sorry. We go 20 miles out into the country where their is no cars, no houses, no cops and no dumbass people standing in the middle of the road. Now back to the lecture at hand. Thaks for the posive replys and the advice and I will try the VHT and the alochol because I have not yet.

#18 ·
Listen; my car is still sitting on the trailer from going to the track on saturday nite. Im not poor, I don't need a second job and I don't need uns jackasses telling me i don't need to be racing on the road when you don't know the circumstances. There is no danger of people getting ran over because their are no cars on the road where we race, we have never seen a passer by at 1 in the morning. I said we live in small town and thats what i meant, for those of you that don't live in a small town and don't understand that i'm sorry. We go 20 miles out into the country where their is no cars, no houses, no cops and no dumbass people standing in the middle of the road. Now back to the lecture at hand. Thaks for the posive replys and the advice and I will try the VHT and the alochol because I have not yet.
Its your choice and I hope that your decision to street race doesn't
kill one of your family or friends.

#19 ·
Maryland accident.

From the pictures the people were ran over in a curve, looking on up the road i don't see anywhere to race and this looks nothing like where we do it here at home. My condolences to the families of the people that were killed, remember GOD has a plan.

#22 ·
From the pictures the people were ran over in a curve, looking on up the road i don't see anywhere to race and this looks nothing like where we do it here at home. My condolences to the families of the people that were killed, remember GOD has a plan.
Graphic photos of Street Racing gone wrong. I'm sure their mothers didn't like Gods Plan.

• Feb. 16: Emergency personnel investigate a crash on Indian Head Highway in Accokeek, Md. A car plowed into a crowd that had gathered to watch an illegal street race on a suburban road early Saturday, killing seven people and injuring at least four others, authorities said.
  • Feb. 16: Emergency personnel investigate a car crash on Indian Head Highway in Accokeek, Md.
  • Feb. 16: Shoes and other debris are scattered along a roadway as emergency personnel investigate a car crash on Indian Head Highway in Accokeek, Md.
  • Feb. 16: Emergency personnel carry the body of a victim involved in a car crash on Indian Head Highway in Accokeek, Md.
  • Feb. 16: Police investigate the scene of an accident on Route 210 in Accokeek, Md., where authorities said a car plowed into a crowd that apparently gathered to watch a drag race on the suburban road, killing seven people and injuring at least four.

#27 ·
Remember the penalties for your actions

Two men indicted in street racing deaths

July 29, 2008 - 3:46pm

Special to WTOPnews.com UPPER MARLBORO, Md. - Two men were indicted Tuesday in the deaths of eight people watching a late-night street race in Accokeek earlier this year.
Darren Bullock, 20, and Tavon Taylor, 18, both of Waldorf, were charged with eight counts of vehicular manslaughter in connection with the Feb. 16 crash on an isolated section of Route 210. They were also charged with reckless driving and street racing.
Police say Bullock drove into a crowd watching another race on Indian Head Highway while he raced Taylor in the early hours of the morning.
"As far as we know, they were looking in the opposite direction and did not know the car was coming," says Glen Ivey, the state's attorney in Prince George's County.
Ivey says photos taken at a gun shop on Indian Head Highway were pivotal in deciding that the two men be indicted.
"The accident reconstruction and also the interviews of the people who were involved led us to conclude that they should be charged with these deaths."
Ivey says both men could face up to 10 years in jail for each count of vehicular manslaughter.
Indian Head Highway is a four-lane road with two lanes in each direction separated by a grassy median where the crash occurred. The speed limit is 55 mph, and there are no streetlights. The crash was one of the deadliest in the D.C. area in 25 years.
(Copyright 2008 by WTOP. All Rights Reserved.)

by Stacy Wells

#28 ·
How many different boards are you gonna post this thread on?

#29 ·
Im not going to blast you for street racing but I will say this..

By listening to what all you say you have done to your car, It sounds like an awful lot of money tied up into it. Would you really risk having it taken from you if you get caught?

Where Im from there is a TON of street racing going on. Ive gone to about 3 just to go watch and from my last time when the cops showed up I never went to another one. Thats been about 2 years ago.

From the little experience Ive had with Street Racing, no good comes out of it. The rules are the silliest thing Ive ever heard and 90% of the races never happen anyway. People would rather run thier mouths than thier car. Doing Burnouts on street tires, taking forever to stage, waiting for cars to pass, .........silly. Then some rule about if one guy leaves and the other dont then it doesnt count. In REAL RACING, If you dont go, you lost. Just take it to the track and grudge race and make you some $$$ in a legit way.

#39 ·
Sorry Box Boy apperantly Yellow bullet is getting soft. Not to mention blind the motherfucker said he had a truck and trailer so get the fuck off of that. Yall sound like a broken record its bad its illegal its bad its illegal people get killed its bad its illegal. Jesus the man is trying to get some help so either help or shut the fuck up aint you bitches ever heard the phrase if you aint got nothing nice to say then keep your trap shut. Hey haters i just saw a thread where somebody was trying to get advice on clubbing baby seals go get um.:smt097YBBitch:

#40 ·
If you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem.. BUT, You are right. Hes got a truck and a trailer.. Which means hes just fuckin stupid.. We all know you cant fix STUPID... So we are wasting our time.. Im thinking the two of you could become fast friends though..

#41 ·
can i ask you a question tom? you keep saying he's fucking stupid, and its easy to. would ya say it face to face? i keep on reading back and forth between the 2 threads on here and am amazed what some people have to say to each other. do you really feel that way or is it just easier to say cause your looking at a computer screen.

#86 ·
can i ask you a question tom? you keep saying he's fucking stupid, and its easy to. would ya say it face to face? i keep on reading back and forth between the 2 threads on here and am amazed what some people have to say to each other. do you really feel that way or is it just easier to say cause your looking at a computer screen.[/quote

ABSOLUTELY., You obviously dont have a CLUE about me if you are wondering that. I will swap punches with the best of them. Ive always been that way. And always will be.. Although Im a bit fatter and a bit slower than I used to be. I dont argue in person. When it comes to that point, we are swinging.. There are a few guys on this board who know me well enough to back that statement up. Now to the issue at hand,, Telling him he is STUPID comes from being smart enough to realize how stupid it was when I was doing it. Doing anything that could result in yourself being sent to prison and having your car confiscated or even involved in an accident that insurance will not cover because it was part of an illegal street race, IS STUPID.. Whether you see it that way or not. I love when I hear guys say its worth the risk for the RUSH,, Because its only worth it when you are not caught. THE MINUTE a guy gets his BIG $$ car , his pride and joy, 10 years of his hard work and labor taken away. He has this miraculous change of heart and its not worth it anymore.. I guess Im the bad guy for trying to make them realize this BEFORE they lose EVERYTHING ???

#43 ·
use the truck and trailer to tow to a better prepped road, then everything will be ok!

#44 ·
Look i'm not trying to be an ass but you have made your opinion known many times for some of you. thats all you can do the horse is dead so kikin aint gonna make it get up. Obviously since you can't fix stupid the keystrokes aint gonna get the job done. I sincerley apoligize if I have offended anybody. NOW FUCK OFF HAHA

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.