Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
The X-Bomb
4,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im interested in having a website done to run a internet business. Im just looking for some in site on who does these types of sites and is capable of every aspect of a site like this. any recommendations? thanks

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
If you take credit cards, dont forget about PCI compliance. https://www.pcisecuritystandards.org/

It will save money in the long run if you think about web application/website security from the beginning. When having a site built, you want to make sure that the design company understands security so you don't expose your customers information.

PM me if you have any questions regarding security and I can point you in the right direction.

·
The X-Bomb
4,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah thats one of the things the designer needs to incorporate into my site. thats what i mean when i say they need to know what they are doing and have plenty of experience. I know some html stuff but wouldnt know where to begin with security etc. coops and blackflag thanks for the leads.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Anytime man.. !

I have been doing security for about 15 years now, and actually started out doing web design back in the days. I still design all my own web sites for the couple companies I have.

When I started, I did all my sites from scratch. I would figure out what pages are needed, then draw up the layout, the do all the graphics and html coding.

What I do now is, once I figure out the pages I buy a template. THis is usually around $40-90 depending on what you want. Then I use Adobe Dreamweaver and modify the template.

A couple of my companies
www.packetfocus.com
www.hotrodhackers.com
www.phishcamp.com

It takes me about 10-40 hours to complete a site once I have a template.

My thoughts about web sites is to start out smaller and put more money into the site once it generates money, but this really depends on what your selling/doing/offering/etc. Service companies can have more basic sites than a company selling products for instance.

Its really good that you are concerned about security. Most people don't care about security because they don't understand the risks of not doing it. PCI is a set of security guidelines for any company that takes credit cards. To become PCI compliant, you will need to perform quarterly network/application scanning by an approved vendor (usually 1k). You will have to have a 3rd party security company perform an annual (manual) security test and this ranges from $2500-15k). Then you will need to complete the PCI self assessment and sign it.

Once you do this you would be PCI complaint. So if the site was compromised, you would not be fined by PCI council. Its like having insurance since the average cost "per record" is around $250 plus other legal fees. Multiply this by each customer and it gets expensive fast.

Hope that helps some..

If you wanted to learn more about application security, check out owasp.org as the PCI regulations refer to their testing and implementation guidelines.

·
RAKER
3,365 Posts

·
SOFA KING WHAT?
43,675 Posts
Check with HeadStrong Media, they are working on our site: www.X275.net and do great work. Sean is a member here and he can be reached at [email protected]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts