Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know a thing about turbos but I am considering switching from nitrous to a turbo or to twin turbos on the new chassis car and need a litte help figuring what setup I would need to run. The car is a double frame rail full tube chassis camaro with the funny car cage and I am going to be running a 383sbc to start off with as this is the combo that I used with the nitrous setup. The motor is a regular 4bolt 350 blocked filled to the freeze plugs, 227 heads, 12.5-1 forged pistons, forged crank and a 850 carb. I would like to get a setup that will put me down in the lower 5's or upper 4's if possible, I know it can be done because I seen it done I just don't know what setup the the guy was running. Anyway, give me some idea's of what setup I should use, what type cam I need and any othe info I need to know about how to set this up. Remember, I don't know very much about turbo's and until I learn them really don't want to have to drop a ton of cash on one (I know you get what you pay for, but I need to get the feel of turbo's before I spend mega cash on one). Thanks for all of the help guys'
:confused::confused:

·
الكتاب ا
6,697 Posts
For starters, going into this on the "cheap" is probably not going to get you far. It will be a dramatic change from the expense of filling a bottle.

Now...with 12.5:1, you can count out using gasoline... either lower your compression or plan on a switch to Alcohol.
The cam and carb will need to be pretty well dedicated to a turbocharged application, so expect to drop a little cash on those things too. Finally, you will need a turbo in at least the 91-94mm range to get into the 4's... and thats with everything else sorted out well.

Good luck with the project!

·
Custom Engine Shop
3,812 Posts
For starters, going into this on the "cheap" is probably not going to get you far. It will be a dramatic change from the expense of filling a bottle.

Now...with 12.5:1, you can count out using gasoline... either lower your compression or plan on a switch to Alcohol.
The cam and carb will need to be pretty well dedicated to a turbocharged application, so expect to drop a little cash on those things too. Finally, you will need a turbo in at least the 91-94mm range to get into the 4's... and thats with everything else sorted out well.

As stated above. A good plan and direction is needed. All to often someone goes out and buy a turbo is is really no closer to have a turbo car.

A force induction fuel system is very different.
The carb or efi need to be changed for the new set-up.
Most making the switch need gear and converter changes also.
Not to mention Headers, Crossover, W/G, BOV, and Bonnet.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts

X2 Alcohol would be a neat way to go. Talk to Roger at C&S for the carb.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok thanks for all the info guys. Now, maybe I put that wrong when I said I didn't want to spend a lot starting out. What I meant was I didn't want to sink 10,000 in a setup right out of the gate. I figured a good set up would run me somewhere around 3 grand (am I wrong on this number) and yes I have thought about running alky or going to around 8.5-1 compression and matching the cam to the compression, carb and turbo. I guess what I am asking is mid 5's possible with a say $2500 to $3000 setup. Again thanks for all the info

1 - 5 of 5 Posts