Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im repainting my car before racing season starts but ive never painted my own car before. i have a general idea of what i need to do, but some things stump me like this, i cant put body filler over elf etch so where would i put it? over the regular primer? or can i epoxy prime bare metal or do i need something for it to stick to? also ive got a regulator for my gun and its just a cheap setup but what should i set the regulator too while painting? other tips would be apreciated :cool:

·
Registered
6,482 Posts
check out you tube dude,there is all kind of people posting their processes on there.hope it helps

·
Registered
785 Posts
put body filler over elf etch so where would i put it?
On bare steel, on cured epoxy primer. Needs to be a polyester based filler. Self etching primer gives a chemical bond to the metal then you can apply a filling primer for finish sanding.

can i epoxy prime bare metal or do i need something for it to stick to?
Yes, most epoxy primers have a chemical etch so you don't need a self etching primer.

what should i set the regulator too while painting
Depends. Are you using a gravity feed gun or a siphon feed. Also depends on what your spraying, base coat or single stage?

You said repainting. I assume the car is painted. You can do small bodywork over the paint if its cured.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
It really depends on what you are doing. If the current paint is in decent shape all you need to do is scuff it and shoot it.
Do you really need to take it to bare metal? A little more info needed here..

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sorry, im taking it down to bare metal because the paint was damaged from a garage fire the paint is bad from the roof to the bottom of the doors and quarters, the metal is fine its not warped much just a litle wavy on the tops of the front fenders, also id like to spray a base coat and then clear, the gun is siphon feed, thanks for the help guys.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts