Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have not done this before, here is the situation, found a car I'm okay with and can afford, turns out it was his dads car who passed away, I'm in Florida and so is the car, however it has a Rhode Island title in his dads name and he is the executor of the will.

Is this going to be a huge pain in the ass or am I worried about nothing?

Hopefully someone has done this before...

thanks

·
Registered
13,485 Posts
executor of a will is usually able to sell things with a "title" such as real property or cars ETC...
all as part of his stated duties within the will.
executor usually has a stated 'power of attorney"....
unless the will specifically states certain limitations..

he should know what he can do to sell the car to you....

all that you then will need is a mannor to tow it on the road to your state / destination and then you register it in your state...

·
Senior Moment
9,664 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Typically, you may need a copy of the death certificate and something that shows he is the executor of the estate, which proves he can sign the title. It's usually not much hassle, but every state may have different requirements. I'd ask the DMV in your state before hand as to what is required for you to title it, just to make life easier.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My plan then should be to make sure I have a copy of the death certificate and a copy of whatever paper appoints him as executor, and have him sign the title ?

As far as getting it home I plan on slapping my current FL tag on it and driving it home, about an hours drive.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Call the DMV in the city that you plan on registering/titleing it in and explain the situation and ask if that is all you need. They will be able to tell you what they will or won't accept or anything extra you may need. It's pretty simple and usually hassle free if you know what you need by the state/DMV or it may be several trips back and forth to get the correct documents.

Edit: Be sure to ask about copies on this stuff, some places with only take a real copy from the state not a real copy that been xeroxed.

·
Registered
13,485 Posts
I would NOT just "slap the tags from my other car"...on that thing..

because they can screw you for even more dollars if you have an incident or if you get into an accident..it just aint worth it...!!!!

most states will sell you at nominal cost a transfer transit certificate to move it for a couple of days or whatever is required...but you have to show proof of insurance....
what if someone hits YOU...and you are totally innocent....
the car will be junk...and you did not even get it back home....

I have sold and purchased a number of cars and trucks from out of state..registered or not........there are special people that can handle the paperwork for you to transfer car over state lines....

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yep thats what I did, transfered my insurance, got copies of everything and a bill of sale, and drove it home, I think I did pretty getting an 02 grand marquis with 43k on it loaded for 4k. So far the only thing I can find wrong is front brakes are not good, other then that, 80 mph all the way home sitting on nice leather seats with the ac cranked, it is frigging hot!

thanks for the advice all, will attempt to reg it monday

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update, finished fixing the car after I did the reg, DMV asked for death certificate, seller to sign HIS name, and copy of power of attorney. That plus an inspection to verify vin and mileage and a little cash and its done. Typical car that sat a lot, most suspension parts were tight, but all the rubber was cracked to hell so I replaced it all, damn thing runs like a new car and gets 28 mpg highway. Hate that most front suspension parts are non serviceable, drilled and tapped in zircs on a few important ones.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts