Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
-Aluminum LS1, 4.030" Bore = 370 Cubes. resleeved with Melling cyclinder Sleeves
-LS1 3.622" Crank- stock
-Scat H-Beam Rods with ARP rod bolts- #2-350-5700-2000- RPM Machine
-Mahle Forged Pistons 4.030" Bore, Plasma Top Ring -4 valve relief -#LS1314030F04- Lingerfelter
-Comp Cam Custom Gind- Dur. 238/254- Lift .605/.612 Lobe 112LSA 112ICL
-Comp Pro Magnum Lifters- #875-16
-Stock Lifter Trays.
-Engine Balanced
-Clevite H Series "race bearings"
-Rollmaster double Timing Chain #1140
-LS6 Oil pump

Block has been Decked .015" for added compression.

With Stock GM gaskets .051" here is the following compression guide.

On 72cc Chamber heads (L92, LS3 heads) = 11.28 compression
On 67cc Chamber Heads (Stock 241, 853 Heads) = 12.03 compression Recommend E85 or race fuel
On 59cc Chamber Heads (5.3 or other Milled heads) = 13.49 compression Race fuel or E85 required for this compression.

Gonna be running anywhere from on 200 to 300 hit on the motor. Im looking for a head that is pretty cheap like patriots jw what is yalls opinion on which ones to get to keep my compression is a safe range for the nitrous thanks>

·
out of work hair dresser
8,341 Posts
You've got issues that need addressing before considering a cylinder head or even think of hitting what you have with a 200-300 shot.

Those PowerPak pistons are 4032 forgings and aren't made for the heat or abuse associated with that much nitrous. Those cast iron Plasma-moly rings aren't going to last under the heat or stress very long either. They will distort and the end coating will chip off.

With .015" of deck removed, the pistons are coming out of the deck by at least .020". That give's you all of a .031" quench and that just isn't going to work even if you still have enough piston to valve clearance.

·
Registered
49,432 Posts
You've got issues that need addressing before considering a cylinder head or even think of hitting what you have with a 200-300 shot.

Those PowerPak pistons are 4032 forgings and aren't made for the heat or abuse associated with that much nitrous. Those cast iron Plasma-moly rings aren't going to last under the heat or stress very long either. They will distort and the end coating will chip off.

With .015" of deck removed, the pistons are coming out of the deck by at least .020". That give's you all of a .031" quench and that just isn't going to work even if you still have enough piston to valve clearance.
I have sprayed the mahles that hard. The tuneup has to be perfect for it to work and any errors will break the piston.

·
out of work hair dresser
8,341 Posts
I have sprayed the mahles that hard. The tuneup has to be perfect for it to work and any errors will break the piston.
I have sprayed hypers as hard without incident but that doesn't mean I'd recommend them for such a build. I've sprayed bone stock LS1's with 200 and they lived..........for a while. As you implied, it comes down to the tune over all. The combo above doesn't have any appearance of knowing what is needed to fulfill desires let alone knowing how to tune it.

Would you recommend this combo for what the poster want's to do?

·
Registered
49,432 Posts
I have sprayed hypers as hard without incident but that doesn't mean I'd recommend them for such a build. I've sprayed bone stock LS1's with 200 and they lived..........for a while. As you implied, it comes down to the tune over all. The combo above doesn't have any appearance of knowing what is needed to fulfill desires let alone knowing how to tune it.

Would you recommend this combo for what the poster want's to do?
Fuck no.I got a few mahle ashtrays on my desk.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
k im a little backwards now i was on ls1 tech and heard from a guy on there this setup would be fine but now im getting told i got issues well shit!

·
Registered
49,432 Posts
k im a little backwards now i was on ls1 tech and heard from a guy on there this setup would be fine but now im getting told i got issues well shit!
thats what you get for hanging out on tech. ;)

·
out of work hair dresser
8,341 Posts
thats what you get for hanging out on tech. ;)
So true and too true to be honest.

I hate to slam a board as a whole because some of the best in business is on Tech. At the same time the amount of know-it-all's outweigh and overpower the guys that actually know what they're talking about.

Man, I feel for you I really do. You've got your money tied up already thinking you're on top of everything and BAM, you've got a bucket of poop..........or at least that's what you're going to have after it's all said and done. I almost feel like saying "I am truly sorry for your loss" and sending my condolences.

·
Registered
49,432 Posts
So true and too true to be honest.

I hate to slam a board as a whole because some of the best in business is on Tech. At the same time the amount of know-it-all's outweigh and overpower the guys that actually know what they're talking about.

Man, I feel for you I really do. You've got your money tied up already thinking you're on top of everything and BAM, you've got a bucket of poop..........or at least that's what you're going to have after it's all said and done. I almost feel like saying "I am truly sorry for your loss" and sending my condolences.

He could always order a custom hieght slug from sone like arias or diamond or JE and not be to fucked. But the situation isn't good. I tried running those pistons that tight once. They will hit with that much spray.

BTW I am not bagging on Mahle. They make a fantastic product. So long as you kep the application in mind.

·
Registered
10,843 Posts
How did you come up with that cam grind and no head data?

I'd have to go with a raised port head if I was stuck with that cam. A head with good exhaust flow numbers shouldn't have that much split on a nitrous ap. Plus what they said about the pistons and rings.

·
Registered
834 Posts

I can vouch for the plasma moly's coming apart under a 300 shot, just happened to me, all the moly coating flaked off and scored up the block on every cylinder and screwed up 2 pistons, so please stay away from the plasma moly's, if I'm not mistaken they aren't recommended for anything over 150 shot. They got sent to me by mistake and I didn't catch it during assembly!

·
Registered
5,293 Posts

Billy, THAT MUCH N2O? Unless the guy is a clown tuning the thing I would be more worried about exhaust valves than the pistons.... shit you can put that kind of hose to stockers as long as you know what you are doing.

·
Registered
5,293 Posts
How did you come up with that cam grind and no head data?

I'd have to go with a raised port head if I was stuck with that cam. A head with good exhaust flow numbers shouldn't have that much split on a nitrous ap. Plus what they said about the pistons and rings.
No clue where this boy got his cam.... but seriously don't worry about that. Just did a circle track cam that had 25°+ split and it's up on anything else they have ever put in the motor, even my first "tame" cam that was 20hp better than the others.

People really worry way too much about split, only time you need to worry about that is when the fucking intake ports are junk, but then again that's MOST LS heads still today.

Bret

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
How much can the deck be cut on an LS1/2/3 block before it compromises strength?

I have some nice pistons but they have just a hair less compression height than I'd like. Is it safe to mill the deck on these stock blocks?

·
out of work hair dresser
8,341 Posts
Billy, THAT MUCH N2O? Unless the guy is a clown tuning the thing I would be more worried about exhaust valves than the pistons.... shit you can put that kind of hose to stockers as long as you know what you are doing.
There isn't any about those pistons I like for a 300 shot.........or even a 250 shot. If I wouldn't build a customer a nitrous engine with a particular piston, I'm not going to recommend or condone anyone use them for such either. That's just me man. ;)

·
out of work hair dresser
8,341 Posts
How much can the deck be cut on an LS1/2/3 block before it compromises strength?

I have some nice pistons but they have just a hair less compression height than I'd like. Is it safe to mill the deck on these stock blocks?
You can mill them conservatively. How much you looking to take off?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts