Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These freaking storms are killing me.:smt093 I just got my power back from Gustav and now Ike is coming:smt076 I'm sure I'll be out of power again soon so I want to try to get my generator hooked up legal and safe this time. Last time it worked but it wasn't the right, safe way to do it.

I'm using a 10,500/9,500 watt Lincoln Ranger as my generator. I want to back feed it the right way using some sort of a manual transfer switch. Problem is, I want control over my power management and most of the boxes I've ran across are only for a few circuits. I want to isolate the main and power my whole box, letting me choose what circuits to run at any given time. The machine will push my central with no problem at night as long as I cut some other stuff off.

Anyone know of any Cheap/Legal ideas for wiring it in?

·
Registered
9,983 Posts
These freaking storms are killing me.:smt093 I just got my power back from Gustav and now Ike is coming:smt076 I'm sure I'll be out of power again soon so I want to try to get my generator hooked up legal and safe this time. Last time it worked but it wasn't the right, safe way to do it.

I'm using a 10,500/9,500 watt Lincoln Ranger as my generator. I want to back feed it the right way using some sort of a manual transfer switch. Problem is, I want control over my power management and most of the boxes I've ran across are only for a few circuits. I want to isolate the main and power my whole box, letting me choose what circuits to run at any given time. The machine will push my central with no problem at night as long as I cut some other stuff off.

Anyone know of any Cheap/Legal ideas for wiring it in?
The best way is to have a Licenced Electrian do it,,,
IF you don't isolate the Main you could be backfeeding the powerlines and get someone KILLED.

We have mine setup so that when the power goes out I flip the main and fire the generator and the whole house is hot. My gen will run everything but the A/C and the pool pump.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Hey Poboy, it looks like this one may be sliding to the west. I was worried Sat.night myself.

·
Eddie Haskell
7,850 Posts
The best way is to have a Licenced Electrian do it,,,

We have mine setup so that when the power goes out I flip the main and fire the generator and the whole house is hot. My gen will run everything but the A/C and the pool pump.
I put a 220 outlet in the garage by the circut breaker box. Flip the main to off, 220 outlet to on, plug the Generator into the 220 outlet. Kill the AC breaker and turn the generator on.

·
A Senior Member
3,699 Posts
I put a 220 outlet in the garage by the circut breaker box. Flip the main to off, 220 outlet to on, plug the Generator into the 220 outlet. Kill the AC breaker and turn the generator on.

If you forget to flip that main breaker off you could kill some body and get sued. it happens.

·
Eddie Haskell
7,850 Posts
If you forget to flip that main breaker off you could kill some body and get sued. it happens.

Well, no shit. Same thing with brakes on your car at a stoplight.

·
A Senior Member
3,699 Posts
Sounds like all you want is a manual transfer nothing automatic. Here area couple of basic setups.
***************************************************************************************************
INCOMING UTILITY >ELECTRIC METER >
TRANSFER SWITCH > MAIN BREAKER IN PANEL
LINCON RANGER>
Transfer switch has to be same amperage as service.
***************************************************************************************************
ELEC METER >PANELMAIN BRAKER>100A BREAKER >
TRANSFER SWITCH >100A SUB PANE
LINCOLN RANGER>
This second way might be easier and cost you less, but you have to move the loads you want to run on standby power to the emergency sub panel.
**************************************************************************************************
Culter Hammer makes a 100A transfer switch for about $450.00. 100A square D panel $125.00
From my view as a master electrician you really should have some one that is qualified do this per NEC and local codes.
GOOD LUCK WEATHERING THE STORMS

·
A Senior Member
3,699 Posts
Sounds like all you want is a manual transfer nothing automatic. Here area couple of basic setups.
INCOMING UTILITY >ELECTRIC METER >
.........................................................TRANSFER SWITCH > MAIN BREAKER IN PANEL
.................................Lincoln RANGER>
Transfer switch has to be same amperage as service.
ELEC METER>PANEL MAIN BREAKER>100A BREAKER>
.......................................................................TRANSFER SWITCH > 100A SUB PANEL
...............................................LINCOLN RANGER>
This second way might be easier and cost you less, but you have to move the loads you want to run on standby power to the emergency sub panel.
**************************************************************************************************
Culter Hammer makes a 100A transfer switch for about $450.00. 100A square D panel $125.00
From my view as a master electrician you really should have some one that is qualified do this per NEC and local codes.
GOOD LUCK WEATHERING THE STORMS

Fixed first post

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
I would get a transfer switch with circuit breakers on it. Re-route your circuits that you want from your main panel to that. Generator to transfer switch. Double pole breaker in existing panel to feed transfer switch panel.

crude drawing but you might get the idea

·
Registered
42,777 Posts
Just pulling the main breaker is not enough, you can still kill someone with the neutral line.

You won't just get sued, you will do time in prison more than likely if you kill a lineman.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts