Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 79 malibu with a pumpgas sbc and a sixspeed, looking at going with a blow thru setup next year, what do you guys recommend? Turbo or procharger looking at going mid nines on pumpgas and be streetable? Is this to much to ask for? I can fabricate fairly well so i'm not to concerned about headers. Also a ballpark price on what some of you guys have spent on doing something like this.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I went the turbo route with an s400 and 408sbf.With 8psi have gone [email protected] weighing 3450.With a little more boost you can easily have a mid 9 second car.I fabricated the turbo kit and had $3200 including 60mmtail wastgate and 50mm tail blowoff vale which were really expensive.This price did not include the price of my CSU carb though.

·
Custom Engine Shop
3,812 Posts
You can get the following for about $2100

S480 turbo
EV Bonnet
JGS 50mm W/G
JGS 56mm BOV
DIY mild steel SBC Header kit.

A cross over and cold side is a little more.

·
Registered
27 Posts
That's a really good price for all that, specially since it includes the s480.The $3200 includes cold side piping(no intercooler) and exhaust/muffler to rear end.Includes all clamp/v-bands etc needed to make everything work.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
do you think that a s480 would reach my goal of a mid 9 second car on pumpgas. Also what size is this turbo? Also the diy header kit, is this for a turbo application or a regular design? Do they offer it in stainless? So do you think for ruffly $4000 i could build a budget turbo setup? I know i posted this in the turbo forum, but would this be a better setup over a procharger? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm sure Robert will have more info but I believe that the s480 is an 80mm and should easily get you into the mid 9's.Also with your budget you could easily build something doing the work yourself.I was also in the same debat as you were when I was building my setup.At the time I could not find a good deal on a blower hence going turbo.But if you find a good deal on an F1R or novi 2000, ysi etc, I think that would also easily net your goal with a lot less work.That all being said I was a supercharger guy all the way but now that I have a turbo I don't think I would go back to a blower.The power they make with such little boost compared to a blower is amazing.

·
Custom Engine Shop
3,812 Posts
CDR Performance - Indianapolis, IN

do you think that a s480 would reach my goal of a mid 9 second car on pumpgas. Also what size is this turbo? Also the diy header kit, is this for a turbo application or a regular design? Do they offer it in stainless? So do you think for ruffly $4000 i could build a budget turbo setup? I know i posted this in the turbo forum, but would this be a better setup over a procharger? Thanks for the help.
We can do the S/S but you are looking 3 times the price of the m/s. You can build you M/S hot and have it coated for much less than S/S.

We help alot of S/C convert to turbo all of them say the same thing,
I have a turbo I don't think I would go back to a blower.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts