Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
THE BBK
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys have a question about my tuneup and wanted to see what yall thought. First let me start by telling my combo

427ci SBF Dart Block 4.125 bore 4.000 stroke. Custom Ross N20 Pistons 1.26CH 14.6 Compression
Yates C3 heads 389in 271ex @.800 lift 42cc Combustion Chamber.
Custom Solid Roller done by Mark @Bullet .801in .752ex lift, 283in 300ex duration @.050 113 Lobe Sep
Custom ported Ford Yates manifold with 1050 Dominator
Kooks 1 7/8 stepped to 2 inch Headers with 3.5 inch collector
Custom Cold Fusion Fogger with Custom 90 degree nozzle
3050lbs Stcok Suspension Mustang on a 28 10.5 tire

We run C16 fuel. R5671-10 NGK plug. Base timing of 29 degrees. We have worked our way up from a .026 jet to a .034 jet so far. We were runing a .032n .026f jet at 5.5lbs of fuel pressure pulling 13 degrees from 29 for a total of 16 degrees. This tuneup showed good results. Fuel ring looked good and timing showed good color on the plug right at the bend. A few weeks ago we steped up to a .034n .028f tuneup still same fuel pressure 5.5lbs and pulled 15 degrees from 29 degrees for a total of 14 degrees. Which first pass it picked up 3 mph in the 1/8 which is about what I expected. We then pulled the plugs and inspected. The plugs showed to be rich and not alot of heat on the strap. So I pulled another 1/4lb of fuel pressure and made another hit which the car picked up alittle mph which tells me I'm moving in the right direction but the plugs still do not look like I want them to. My question is(I KNOW FINALLY) should I pull another 1/4 or 1/2lb of fuel pressure to try and clean these plugs up? or go to a .034n .026f tuneup and put some fuel pressure back in it?. How low is to low on fuel pressure?. I have always been told dont go below 5lbs.

·
Super Moderator
12,124 Posts
I normally don't like to go below 5 PSI myself either.. As for what's the next best move, it's hard to say without know what the plugs look like. Might wanna make a note how things look now and then take another 1/4 pound out and see if it gets better for you ?? Decide from there what to do next. If you end up going all the way to 5 and still don't like the look, then maybe look at opening up the spread .002 more and maybe tweaking the fuel pressure a little.. If you remove more fuel and you don't go any faster, I would also listen to that as well.. Hope this helps.. SJ

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
stephen. once i get to 5 psi and the plugs still look fat i will spread the pills another .002 and go back to 5.5 and do another reading.
just be careful that when you get close to cleaning up the plug completly you may need to drop a degree of timing out of it also.
glad to hear you are making progress, hope the rain stops so we can go racing again.

·
THE BBK
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys I appreciate the info.

Steve I havent forgot about you. I still want you to flow the kit just need to make time to get it to you. Thanks for the advice as always.

John thanks for the kind words. This thing is finally coming around. Could not have done it without your help. I know this rain sucks I was looking forward to runing Tuff Street with yall this weekend. We are loading the car up and going to make some test hits in Dallas and try some things to get this thing lined out. Thanks for all the help and hope to be racing with ya soon

·
Super Moderator
12,124 Posts
Thanks guys I appreciate the info.

Steve I havent forgot about you. I still want you to flow the kit just need to make time to get it to you. Thanks for the advice as always.

John thanks for the kind words. This thing is finally coming around. Could not have done it without your help. I know this rain sucks I was looking forward to runing Tuff Street with yall this weekend. We are loading the car up and going to make some test hits in Dallas and try some things to get this thing lined out. Thanks for all the help and hope to be racing with ya soon

It's all good !! ;) Whenever your ready we'll be here.. Should only need it for a couple days.. Thanks, SJ

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'M WITH IROK Z 8 SPREAD OUT THE GATE BUT WITH THAT HEAD WATCH THE TIMING I PERSONALLY WOULD BE A LI'L LOWER WHILE ON THE GUN BUT THE PLUG WILL TELL ALL.......GOOD LUCK CAR SHOULD FLY

IROK Z GOOD LUCK THIS WEEKEND WE ARE GUNNING FOR YA....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts