Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
wife/gf thread MOD
2,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
now dont criticize the work!! its the 1st thing i have ever really welded in my life. its a stock frame rail. i know its ugly but thats not what im asking. what i need to know is what would you do from here to add support to the cross members? its a 370 LSX, glide and a 91mm turbo. just a street toy. again, please dont rip it apart. everything is done by me, no shops what so ever.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
you need some sort of support for the bars where the 4 link attaches..

On the lower tube right in front of the 4 link you need to run a tube forward on each side.. could angle out to the frame rail or make an X ..

The upper tube can be supported either forward or backwards to the shock crossbar or frame.

·
Registered
68,984 Posts
I'd box in the frame in first - front to rear.
Then run your supports forward from the lower 4-link crossmember to the frame.
The upper crossmember can be done just as race9899 said.

·
wife/gf thread MOD
2,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
im definitely going to plate it in. thats what the flat stock on the floor is for. but my plan was to make some kind of supports, weld them to the frame then box around it. that way its welded inside to the frame then welded around the plate. but basically i can just run 2 bars on each side forward to the frame and it will be ok?

·
Registered
20,824 Posts
Run somthing from the bottom of the four link brackets over to the loop in the center or it will fold them over when they hang down that far, can you turn the welder amps up some?

·
wife/gf thread MOD
2,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah i can turn it up. i set it where it recommended for the gauge steel then tweaked it a little from there. but its set around the middle somewhere so i have plenty more

·
EFI/N2O JUNKIE
17,074 Posts
I am no professional welder but let me ask this: Did you do most of those welds with a MIG welder and one continuous weld? I have done a lot of MIG welding and start and stop a lot just so I can check on my welding as I'm going along. Not saying this is right or wrong, I honestly have no clue!

I tend to have more heat show in my tubing than I see in yours, but again, I am MIG'ing and always doing mild steel.

I tend to over-build crap and I would add a 45 degree brace from the point above your 4-link brackets up to the same tube your 4-link crossmembers are attached to. Will stop the top tube from lifting-upwards. Probably not needed, but that's just me.

·
wife/gf thread MOD
2,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
some of the welds that i could get at comfortably were welded continuous. others that were welded backwards were inch by inch or so

·
wife/gf thread MOD
2,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
and yes, all mig. and everything is mild steel except the top bar. i skrewed up the one i had and a buddy had a length of the moly so i grabbed it but thats it

·
Registered
68,984 Posts
not a good angle shot here but something like this?
Yes, those diagonals should work. Another option on the top bar would be to run it rearward and weld it to the frame (behind) the upper crossmember.
Also, you need to box in the back sides of the 4-link chassis brackets. If you don't they will spread in no time.
And like Jeff said, you'll need to run some small tubing (1/2" or 5/8" dia ) gussets from BOTH SIDES the lower portion of the 4-link chassis bracket back to the crossmember.

·
wife/gf thread MOD
2,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok. thanks a bunch guys. i will make some bars up and get them in there. i will post pics when its all set

1 - 13 of 13 Posts