Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was recently at a bracket race and came to the conclusion that we(my wife&I) are not as competetive as we once were.We've been racing since 1970 and have had our days when we won on a semi-regular basis.But paying big entries and maybe going 2-3 rounds is getting tiresome.We still love to drive the cars,but dumping,pedaling,spotdropping and all the modern technology "stuff" is not for us.Don't get me wrong my wife has a 9 sec. Camaro and I run in the 7's with my dragster.We do all of our own work and love it.After talking to a number of other "senior" racers we're not alone in our thinking.Some thoughts were getting together on T&T days and put $ in a pot and run a best package races.Anyhow we're trying to come up with something new.Afterall they have senior golf,bowling leagues etc.Would appreciate any ideas.Thank you.

·
Registered
315 Posts
like most sports, it's a young man's/women's game and if you're not out there every weekend competing, you're at a disadvantage. It's all all about seat time. Also if you race at the same track with the same group of racers, they know your routine, know how much you hold or don't, know whether you womp, spot drop or bomb the brakes. They also know whether you go to the lanes early or late and what lane you prefer to run. Maybe it's time to change up your routine. It might also be time for a fresh perspective like taking one of Scotty Richardson's classes.

·
Registered
6,311 Posts
I tired of bracket racing and started to run an Index series 5 yrs ago. Pro Tree and run a number. I really enjoyed that, was very competitive and won a series championship at 63 yrs old. The youngsters today are just so good at killing the tree and holding a couple numbers and they can see much better than older folks so they can determine what to do at the strip better. Plus as we once were, they are very confident and fearless to a flaw......LOL. A 4/10s pro tree and running your number evens all that stuff out. If you can run your number with confidence no need to worry about what the other guy does plus you are alot closer together since you both leave at the same time. Might be fun for you too. Something to think about. You do have to learn how to race this way though.

·
Registered
315 Posts
BTW, you stated you're tired of going 2-3 rounds. Well if you do that every week, that's at worse an average bracket racer if not better than average depending on where and in what class you race. What's the typical car count in your class...20, 30, 40 racers every week? You know that most aren't winning a race either. Sounds to me that you're just tired of not winning. Most bracket racers don't win 1 race a season no mind more than one.

Every bracket racer knows what they do is easy and anybody can do it;) just be teen or better on the tree and run dead on and your win light will come on more often than not.:D

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
The two guys who always battle for the super-pro track championship at my local track are at least 65 years old! They know how to set up the delay box, stage consistently, let go of the button consistently, and drive the stripe!

·
Registered
372 Posts
At 63 I still haven't recovered from our divisional race on the weekend. The crew had to work so no help, only my wife to drive cart/activate computer and I borrowed a friend from another team to wear the headset. Didn't go rounds but managed to set the nhra comp A/AP national record and then pull the head off so tech could confirm displacement.
Old fart, so tired

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
At 63 I still haven't recovered from our divisional race on the weekend. The crew had to work so no help, only my wife to drive cart/activate computer and I borrowed a friend from another team to wear the headset. Didn't go rounds but managed to set the nhra comp A/AP national record and then pull the head off so tech could confirm displacement.
Old fart, so tired
Congrats on the record! I don't know how you Comp guys manage to keep up with the work on the cars in addition to teardowns!

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
We race BECAUSE we like to work on our cars---no one said we were very smart, but just as Terry said it is what we do. Congrats Terry--as you know I could never get a handle on A/AP---good job.

·
Registered
372 Posts
thank you fellas, I was busier than a one armed paperhanger. after each qualifying pass towed back to pit, pull front end off, setup projacks, lift racecar, download racepak info into laptop, email racepak info to Hoerner for o2 efi review, download update efi into big stuff 3, hookup battery charger, remove valve covers, check springs/lash, install valve covers, check spark plugs, change strut shock settings, change stall and shift rpm in msd ignition, crank in chute springs(oh ya did have someone help guide springs into cannons), pack chutes, check tire pressures, add fuel, lower racecar, put front end on just as your called for next round of qualifying, oh ya put back on that 15 fire suit you removed before you pulled the front end off as they so fk'n uncomfortable..and as I said earlier, after the racing was over tech says pull the fk'n Hemi head off your brand new bullet...as Chevy Chase said in christmas vacation, where's the tylenol

·
Registered
1 Posts
I started racing in the early 70's before Englishtown had bracket racing. with that being said bracket racing kept me racing until the early 80's when I started back everything had changed catching up is a task. this year I started index racing like the Real McCoy stated it's heads up and close from start to finish I'm luvin it.

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
Only race when there's a big money event in your area, then go someplace else...............lol ;)

·
Registered
372 Posts
old guys just race for fun...us old farts need 3 g's of launch and a pair of shoots to slow down to give us a high...unless you got blue pill of course and a thick wallet....lol

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Great comments ..Thanks! We're still thinking about a change of somesort.We still love the racing people and the thrill of driving the cars.Going to come up with something.Blue pill??..I'm not dead yet.

·
Drunk and Disorderly
2,251 Posts
I think it is a blue pill with a V on it LOL

·
Registered
987 Posts
I am 63 soon to be 64, I race a heads up Drag Radial car at Milan dragway in Michigan. I am not the fastest car but I am consistant. I don't plan on giving it up until the NHRA won't give me license anymore. My car runs low eights. I like heads up racing better than bracket racing, to me it's more of a challenge. I agree about the games played by bracket racers.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts