Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven’t paid close attention to LS builds since ‘02. Lotsa changes since then. Just recently bought a 01 SS as a daily driver and now I’m back in the LS world. Long tubes and full exhaust, a lid and maf. Otherwise stock engine. I’m wondering what is the best bang for buck setup. It’s gotta be reliable and get decent mileage cruising on highway. 500-600hp should be plenty. It’s a 6 spd car and first on the list is a 12 bolt or 9”.

So what would you do?
Blower
Turbo
LS3
LT8
Build the LS1

What’s the cheapest route to power. This is all in planning stages as I’m balls deep in a Foxbody build but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Once the mustang can move on its own I’ll shift focus to the F body. It seems parts are way more expensive now than they were back in 02. Thanks in advance for any help. Who has a plan?

·
Registered
651 Posts
I haven’t paid close attention to LS builds since ‘02. Lotsa changes since then. Just recently bought a 01 SS as a daily driver and now I’m back in the LS world. Long tubes and full exhaust, a lid and maf. Otherwise stock engine. I’m wondering what is the best bang for buck setup. It’s gotta be reliable and get decent mileage cruising on highway. 500-600hp should be plenty. It’s a 6 spd car and first on the list is a 12 bolt or 9”.

So what would you do?
Blower
Turbo
LS3
LT8
Build the LS1

What’s the cheapest route to power. This is all in planning stages as I’m balls deep in a Foxbody build but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Once the mustang can move on its own I’ll shift focus to the F body. It seems parts are way more expensive now than they were back in 02. Thanks in advance for any help. Who has a plan?
I would just ported 243 heads/cam/intake your LS1 if it's in good shape. If not, slap a 6.0 iron block in it and build from there. LS3 topend. JMO

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After just dumping a ton of money into a 403ci N/A engine.. if I had to do it again I would have bought a Procharger and called it done
That’s kinda surprising. I saw your TBSS engine build and thought it was pretty fukin sweet. I would think if you went blower you would do a whipple or Eaton being so heavy. Procharger makes a good unit though.

·
Registered
156 Posts
That’s kinda surprising. I saw your TBSS engine build and thought it was pretty fukin sweet. I would think if you went blower you would do a whipple or Eaton being so heavy. Procharger makes a good unit though.
It is a sweet build, if you want to spend 20k and make close to 700hp. Don't get me wrong I love the N/A build but the Mamo top end and everything else I got from him was a touch over 11k(Heads fully assembled, Intake, Lifters, Rockers, Pushrods, Oilpump, ATI balancer etc.) Having to rebuild the shortblock sucked but that's was another 5600. Then having them assemble the rest of the engine and Dyno was another 2500. Could I have saved money and done it myself, sure. But I figured what's a little more at this point, if it grenades it's on them lol.

Now look at it from this perspective. Rebuild the shortblock, could save a grand and use the stock crank. Send the heads to TEA for porting(1500 vs 4000), BTR blower cam kit, high ram and then a Procharger D1X setup, 1000hp and I bet I could save 4-5k easily.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It is a sweet build, if you want to spend 20k and make close to 700hp. Don't get me wrong I love the N/A build but the Mamo top end and everything else I got from him was a touch over 11k(Heads fully assembled, Intake, Lifters, Rockers, Pushrods, Oilpump, ATI balancer etc.) Having to rebuild the shortblock sucked but that's was another 5600. Then having them assemble the rest of the engine and Dyno was another 2500. Could I have saved money and done it myself, sure. But I figured what's a little more at this point, if it grenades it's on them lol.

Now look at it from this perspective. Rebuild the shortblock, could save a grand and use the stock crank. Send the heads to TEA for porting(1500 vs 4000), BTR blower cam kit, high ram and then a Procharger D1X setup, 1000hp and I bet I could save 4-5k easily.
I see your point. All my builds usually spiral out of control and then need to be scaled down and budget reevaluated. I think about all the money I dumped into blown 2v mod motors and I cry. I could’ve had a 500 or 600” bbf and money to spare. The procharger route does appeal to me with simplicity.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts

That's the reason I Hate Mamo.... that's a engine in cost. And I bet money says you got YT rockers. Fuck Dude.

Reactions: DirtyJewRacing

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
I would just ported 243 heads/cam/intake your LS1 if it's in good shape. If not, slap a 6.0 iron block in it and build from there. LS3 topend. JMO
👆👆👆👆👆👆👆

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Turbo route is hella tempting. I’ve seen a few sbe builds that are nuts but I hate having hyper pistons and boost. I’ve destroyed my share of ring lands over the years. I just never know when to stop and be happy with what I have. Always want more syndrome.
I doubt the stock ecu is capable but I haven’t really researched that yet.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts

So what would you do?
Blower
Turbo
LS3
LT8
Build the LS1

Think we getting off base for 500 to 600 hp?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You should be able to do 500-600hp easily with just a supercharger, heads, cam, long tube headers without touching the bottom end.
JUST blower, heads, and cam? I’m honestly thinking that the goal can be achieved with just a blower OR just a head/cam/intake package. I don’t remember much about how strong the oem short block is but I’ve seen 5.3 builds where guys hit them hard and they live. Looking for the cheapest, easiest route while maintaining good manners. LS platform has so many options.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts