Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just trying to get some of yalls thoughts on where to place the wastegate on this kit its the new precision 66mm wastegate

·
Registered
566 Posts
its got to be right behind the comp cover there on the external radius of the bend just before the collector, its not the most convenient spot looking at your setup though. You would be much better off with twin 44mm gates placed elsewhere than the 66mm gate.

·
Registered
421 Posts
its got to be right behind the comp cover there on the external radius of the bend just before the collector, its not the most convenient spot looking at your setup though. You would be much better off with twin 44mm gates placed elsewhere than the 66mm gate.
I agree with where you are talking about placing it. Remember you could plumb it in there and then mount the wastegate nearby where it has room.

·
Registered
8,464 Posts
If he only has one don't you want it in the merge to pull from both banks?

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Where is it? i dont see a wastegate in the picture, maybe im blind?

·
TURBOBULLET.COM BITCHES!
6,046 Posts
Best would be two gates.... One after each vband is where I would put them.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Based on what I can see , I have marked the area where I would put it. I would go about 1inche below the turbo flange . If that spot will get in the way of the frame, use a 45 or 90 deg tube to clear the frame. From that pic it appears that both sides would feed the gate OK. Sometimes space constraints will keep you from placing it exactly where it should be, but it will work well in the marked area.

·
Registered
291 Posts
thanks guys. this is actually my car. we've looked at it from several different points so we thought about getting some advise. is there any drawback in using a 90 or 45 and pointing it down or at a downward angle? i'll go to two 44 tial's if somebody wants to trade for my precision. :) or maybe some one will sponsor me another precision and i'll run two of them.. keep the advise coming.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Why not put it in the housing?
It works great. If you use a 45 or a 90 and bring it back out of the flange/merge area it will not get good flow and therefore will not be very responsive.
If you didnt want to use 2, or cut into the exhaust housing, I like the idea of 2 pipes prior to the merge coming together, maybe below the flange.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Will that work with two flex joints? Is the turbo mounted to the frame and your using poly mounts?

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
Right under the compressor cover, aimed slightly toward the passengers headlight and use a 2 to 1 merge off the outside diameter of those last two bends before the entry into the housing. That will give the exhaust a dead straight shot at the gate which equals great control.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Well the wastegate entry pipe is at 90 degrees to the flow of the exhaust gas, you would want a 60mm+ gate to even try and get away with that kind of wastegate entry. Next time you have the merge off try blowing compressed air down the pipe and check how much air comes out the turbo entry vs how much comes out the wastegate entry. I have seen similar designs actually pull a vacuum on the wastegate inlet pipe which really isnt what you want.
With the collector you have there your best bet is twin gates mounted before the flex bellows that you have there on the external radius the the bend and just make up a block off plate for the gate mount you already have, that is now a good location for an exhaust pressure fitting.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Well the wastegate entry pipe is at 90 degrees to the flow of the exhaust gas, you would want a 60mm+ gate to even try and get away with that kind of wastegate entry. Next time you have the merge off try blowing compressed air down the pipe and check how much air comes out the turbo entry vs how much comes out the wastegate entry. I have seen similar designs actually pull a vacuum on the wastegate inlet pipe which really isnt what you want.
With the collector you have there your best bet is twin gates mounted before the flex bellows that you have there on the external radius the the bend and just make up a block off plate for the gate mount you already have, that is now a good location for an exhaust pressure fitting.
It's pointing up about 10 degrees it's hard to see from pics. Space limitation was an issue like most cars... I have worked on cars with ALOT worse placement and said no way is that gonna work and was
Proved wrong. For lnstance supras with an HKS header. There is no reason in the world those setups should work but they do. I had an issue with a customers car last year with a setup with decent but not optimal location. With the S480 we had no issue but when we swapped it out for a 91x boost control was non existent. My setup is gonna live at 25-30 psi so I'm not concerned about controlling the boost under that.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts