Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How fast do the 3sp trans guys have to make their 1-2 shift? Seems silly I have to ask, but when I launch, its almost as if I have to pull second gear immediately . The rpms come up and the car is moving forward fast and pulling hard but my rpms are right there at my shift point. I then hit 2nd and I get a little rpm drop and same for third but not alot like ive been used to in previous combinations. Is it normal to shift the 1-2 that quickly on a bbc 3sp car with a loose converter? I feel like I need to have a electric or air shifter to make that first shift consistently. I havnt been to the track yet and just thought this was strange. 468, 5500 converter, 4.88 gear, 16x32 tire. Thanks!!

·
nightmare on any street..
5,033 Posts
How fast do the 3sp trans guys have to make their 1-2 shift? Seems silly I have to ask, but when I launch, its almost as if I have to pull second gear immediately . The rpms come up and the car is moving forward fast and pulling hard but my rpms are right there at my shift point. I then hit 2nd and I get a little rpm drop and same for third but not alot like ive been used to in previous combinations. Is it normal to shift the 1-2 that quickly on a bbc 3sp car with a loose converter? I feel like I need to have a electric or air shifter to make that first shift consistently. I havnt been to the track yet and just thought this was strange. 468, 5500 converter, 4.88 gear, 16x32 tire. Thanks!!
I run a 2.75 low transmission and run between a 4.56 (current gear for 1/4) and a 5.67 (1/8 super stock). Generally pull the 1-2 shift in the air.

I know my car drops off a bit on the 1-2 shift. I personally think with my 2.75 low gear and my steep rear gear the car drops off pretty bad and I lose 330. My car 60's in the low 1.30's off the footbrake. I think with the 2.75/5.14 low gear, when it goes to 2nd gear the car dies from such a large gear change (to the 2nd gear ratio).

·
5,033 Posts
I run a 2.75 low transmission and run between a 4.56 (current gear for 1/4) and a 5.67 (1/8 super stock). Generally pull the 1-2 shift in the air.

I know my car drops off a bit on the 1-2 shift. I personally think with my 2.75 low gear and my steep rear gear the car drops off pretty bad and I lose 330. My car 60's in the low 1.30's off the footbrake. I think with the 2.75/5.14 low gear, when it goes to 2nd gear the car dies from such a large gear change (to the 2nd gear ratio).
Although I have wanted am electric shifter for a while, I might possible do one down the road.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply! So you grab 2nd in the air, that sounds like how quickly I need to shift mine too. I release my transbrake with my right had(steering wheel) and need more practice to get on the shifter faster or try the electric shifter route. Im used to driving with a delay box so that gave me time to put my hand on the shifter. Leaving off a pro tree or bottom bulb is new and will take a little time to get it down.

·
5,033 Posts
Thanks for the reply! So you grab 2nd in the air, that sounds like how quickly I need to shift mine too. I release my transbrake with my right had(steering wheel) and need more practice to get on the shifter faster or try the electric shifter route. Im used to driving with a delay box so that gave me time to put my hand on the shifter. Leaving off a pro tree or bottom bulb is new and will take a little time to get it down.
It will take some time but it will come. I footbrake race 90% of the time and both of my hands are generally ok the steering wheel at the 10/2 position. I just bring my hand right down to the shifter as soon as I leave.

I've neve been able to use a button on my steering wheel unless it was for Box racing.

How fast is your car? Any idea on rollout?

·
Registered
610 Posts
I use the Biondo Elite RPM box, Shifnoid electric shifter and the Pro ratchet shifter. We have them in several race cars both Ford and Chevy. The Biondo Elite RPM box works much better then the Shifnoid box or the MSD box. It takes a little time to get the electric shift to throw correctly, but once adjusted correctly, works great. The total package is a little pricey.

I have a 434 TH400 in a 3250 LB car with me in the car, and most who watch/listen don't hear my shifts. I think my stall is a little too high, but once my finger leaves the transbrake button, the car is on its own. The good thing about the Biondo Elite is that you can program up to four shift RPMs. Though the TH400 only needs two shifts, you can set them differently within a second. I currently shift at 6400 from 1-2 and 7000 from 2-3. The MSD RPM box only allows one shift RPM and you must have at least a 500 RPM difference before it will shift. The RPM difference is not needed with the Biondo.

http://www.biondoracing.com/product/DDI-1067.html
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ctn-sn5070/overview/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/bmm-80842/overview/

·
Registered
13,131 Posts
It will take some time but it will come. I footbrake race 90% of the time and both of my hands are generally ok the steering wheel at the 10/2 position. I just bring my hand right down to the shifter as soon as I leave.

I've neve been able to use a button on my steering wheel unless it was for Box racing.

How fast is your car? Any idea on rollout?
Hi that car sounds like it is fun to drive, what is best et-------------- thanks :)

·
5,033 Posts
Hi that car sounds like it is fun to drive, what is best et-------------- thanks :)
Trust me, it's nothing fast or to talk about. Currently it runs 6.50's on gas. Recently converted it to Alky so it should run a little quicker. Just a cast iron headed 400 with a flat tappet cam, good converter, stock suspension and little tires. In good air it has 60ft 1.301 on a 9" radial slick. Durning the summer it doesn't leave that high.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
462bbc w/6100 convert 3400 lb car. I would move lever to shift when coming down from wheelie. I now have the two rpm Biondo box over CHeetah air shifter and it makes life a lot easier. I believe the shift point in 1-2 is 6600 so if the wheels spun I believe there is a delay in shifting so it doesn't accidently shift. Put a 2.10 first gear and that helped from spinning past 1-2 rpm shift point and lengthened time before shift.

·
Registered
13,131 Posts
Trust me, it's nothing fast or to talk about. Currently it runs 6.50's on gas. Recently converted it to Alky so it should run a little quicker. Just a cast iron headed 400 with a flat tappet cam, good converter, stock suspension and little tires. In good air it has 60ft 1.301 on a 9" radial slick. Durning the summer it doesn't leave that high.
Still sounds fun. A lifetime ago i was running a D/MP camaro with a 302 cid and a Doug Nash 5 speed dana 60 rear with 7.17 gears 3.25 first gear and 14x32 fire stones, talk about shifting quick let the clutch go and get ready to grab second and the old ladder bar cars wanted to flip over backwards was fun, never won much but was fun broke a lot of stuff car weihgt was 3450. Now i run a tube chassis f body firebird 86 year with the dull ride power glide, i am going to build a th 400 so it seems like i am driving again, glide is a dull ride even at 8.50 et

·
5,033 Posts
Still sounds fun. A lifetime ago i was running a D/MP camaro with a 302 cid and a Doug Nash 5 speed dana 60 rear with 7.17 gears 3.25 first gear and 14x32 fire stones, talk about shifting quick let the clutch go and get ready to grab second and the old ladder bar cars wanted to flip over backwards was fun, never won much but was fun broke a lot of stuff car weihgt was 3450. Now i run a tube chassis f body firebird 86 year with the dull ride power glide, i am going to build a th 400 so it seems like i am driving again, glide is a dull ride even at 8.50 et

My goal is to one day (a long ways off) is to get into a comp eliminator ride. My family is really big into stock/super stock/ comp/ modified (when ihra still ran it ). I feel I can go some 6.20's once we get the Alky dialed in. It runs good and fun to drive. I've had a string of bad luck this year, though.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I ran a footbrake mid 10 sec car many years ago with a big inch Pontiac engine, a loose converter, and a 5.13 gear with 14/32's.

I ran a stock 2.48 low gear set, and the shift to 2nd did come quickly. After a while, I figured out that it was the least shift point sensitive combination I ever ran. Shift it late, shift it short, it really didn't care. If you have high HP and a little bit low on torque, it will be more finicky. But if you are a torque monster, it really doesn't matter much.

·
Security jus sayin crew
50,209 Posts
I have the same size tire. I started out having 5 some gears. Before my back tires crossed the beams to the lights I was shifting into 2nd. I now have 4:57 gears. I an run 1st out. I have to pay attention next time where I am shifting.

·
Security jus sayin crew
50,209 Posts
We have similar combo.

Mine drops close to a 1000 rpms

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Ours gets 1-2 shifted at 7500 at about 1.5 seconds. That's with a 1.96 1st gear & 3.70 rear gear.
Is this a two or three speed? What's the rpm drop on the shift? What size tire?

·
All motor wannabe
5,904 Posts
1.95 first gear 4.30 rear 29.5 tire. I shift mine around 2 to 3 second. http://vimeo.com/103037744

You can watch the data overlay in the video and see.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts