Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been asked to get our Local High School set up with and to help teach a Drag Racing Team that would compete in the area tracks against other area High Schools and have it run in conjunction with the Schools Automotive Shop Class.

I know the Auto Shop Teacher has been drooling over this for a couple of years now and was just waiting till our Son was old enough to move from 8th Grade into 9th when they can start taking Auto Shop Classes, and I really Like the Shop Teacher he is a Great Guy and a Hell of a Carpenter,Electrician and a Good BASIC Auto Shop teacher BUT thats where his Knowledge comes to a screeching Halt ! so basicaly I will be doing all of this on my own as a Kind of Volunteer or Substitute Teacher if you will.

But therein lay the problem I know nothing about trying to get this all put together for the Kids (and by the way the enrollement for this "NEW CLASS" that is slated to start up this coming Fall ....well the response to it has simply been overwhelmingly amazing, the List of Kids that want in this Class is as long as my arm already and we only just started talking about it last year at the begining of the 2011-2012 school year....seriously.

The actuall Buying and Building of a Competitive High School Class Bracket Car .....I have that part covered in fact .....we are 99.9% done with the 72 Rally Nova that My Wife will run in the Sportsman or Street Stock Class and both our 2 kids will Race it in the High School or Sportsman Class so thats not a problem but it's all the rest that worries me.

The School already has a GOOD SIZED pile of Donated Funds for this class from all the local Farmers and Ranchers Like us as well as Local Merchants and Banks and what not that they have been getting without even asking since this past January when the Shop Teacher started getting this up and running so it seems to be off to a good start.

I just don't have a clue about how to go about getting High Performance and or Drag Racing Parts suppliers and Companies to get on board and Donate Stuff for the Build......My Wife and I have already agreed to purchase what ever Car the Kids decide to use as a Base for the Race Car and I am Donating my Time to guide them into getting it built and Racing it.

So If any of you are connected with a Company that can help or you as an individual can help in anyway please PM me how I can get in touch.......Help is one thing I will never turn down.

I have Contacted Several High School Auto Shop Programs that are still doing this today at their Schools and they are very willing to help so I should have that end covered.

We will have a "HIGH SCHOOL DRAG RACE TEAM" meeting with the Kids here later this summer when all the Kids that want to can attend so we can set out the plan and start gathering Ideas for the Car they want to build to get a head start and be ready for this fall when School starts back up in August so you can see I need to get as much done ahead of time as is possible.

So if any of you want to SERIOUSLY help the Future of our sport here is your chance to put your money or just even Brain Power where your mouth is (so to speak) I will be posting all the needed information as it becomes available to me.

Thanks,
RC

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will Donate a carb .

Thanks So Much your name is on the list I will PM you with all the tax info and so forth for a Tax write off as a Donation if you want to as soon as I get it all from the School......(Everybody is off for summer vacation except for me and the Shop Teacher) so when we have all the correct info I will let you know and Thanks Again.
We wont forget your Kindness and you will have a spot for your Stickers (like a Contingency Sticker) so everybody will Know who all helped make this whole Project work, Those that Donate anything thats relative in anyway will be properly Thanked when the Project is Done. We have a plan of Sending each who helps a Certificate of Thanks Signed by all the involved Students and a 9"x12" Framed Photo of The Students and Car to hang up.

This is quite a undertaking for me but I am gathering help almost every Hour of the Day. I got a Huge Surprise just after Lunch today when I stopped at the Local Gas-N-Shop for gas and a Bottle of Soda, The owner of the Local John Deere Equipment & ALL types of Trailer Dealer who's kids both attend the School, Stopped me at the Gas Pumps and started asking questions and in just a couple of Min's he informs me that His Dealership is Donating a 8.5' x 20' Plain Jane Haulmark Enclosed Trailer with White Exterior ! Wow talk about being dumbfounded.....Man What Great People !

Well when I got home I called the Guy who I get all My Vinyl Graphics from here Locally and after telling him what was going on He Offered to Donate all the Graphics and Lettering for the Car & Trailer so I am picking up speed here quickly.

My biggest problem with this whole thing I don't have a clue as to how to go about asking people for donations for this.....I have never asked anyone to donate anything to a Race Car Project or anything else for that matter.....to much like begging I guess or Charity and I have never taken charity or asked for something I didn't earn and pay for with my own sweat and hard work so this is a whole new experience for me to say the least.

Thanks Again,
RC

·
Registered
146 Posts
Get a name brand guy involved . I have several friends in various forms of racing that would more than likely help . I know Twitch would do something , I'm certain Charles Hendrickson would help out too . He did Drag Race High and BurnOut . Let me know .

·
Beer me!!
22,507 Posts
Get a name brand guy involved . I have several friends in various forms of racing that would more than likely help . I know Twitch would do something , I'm certain Charles Hendrickson would help out too . He did Drag Race High and BurnOut . Let me know .

Looks like a really classy guy! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Man I wish our schools around here would've done that lol...

·
Car ramrod
10,130 Posts
Wish my school would've had class like that

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
PM me with an email address or a phone # if you want to ask about the politics side of what you're getting ready for. We have been running a drag race program out of my Autoshop class for about 13 years now at Rim High School, but a little different than what you described. I may be able to help you prepare for some of the questions you will face from the negative/non-supporters.
On the other hand, you will find a lot of people out there will give you great support for the program because of what you are doing.
Teacher Dave

1 - 10 of 10 Posts