Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have gone to Q16 this year along with some other changes and I cant get the car to be responsive. The engine is a 360 sbc, 9.1 compression with a 720/680 lift cam, 115 lobe separation. Total timing is at 38-40 degrees. The engine is unresponsive and runs like it is lean. I have talked to Kevin at CSU but I still cant seem to figure it out. Car is running a a/a intercooler. Does anyone have any idea as to what could be causing the unreponsiveness? Is the 115 lobe separation causing this? My LM-1 is not working so I cant tell where my A/F ratio is at. Any ideas would be gladly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
I would not use Q16 with an a/a intercooler.

·
Registered
972 Posts
I have gone to Q16 this year along with some other changes and I cant get the car to be responsive. The engine is a 360 sbc, 9.1 compression with a 720/680 lift cam, 115 lobe separation. Total timing is at 38-40 degrees. The engine is unresponsive and runs like it is lean. I have talked to Kevin at CSU but I still cant seem to figure it out. Car is running a a/a intercooler. Does anyone have any idea as to what could be causing the unreponsiveness? Is the 115 lobe separation causing this? My LM-1 is not working so I cant tell where my A/F ratio is at. Any ideas would be gladly appreciated. Thanks.
Are you still running the s480 turb from last year?
What was the timing you ran last year? 38-40 seems high
The 115 lobe sep should not cause any problems. I would say it is lean and you need more fuel. I inquired about q16 this year as well and was told by many people that it should be run with an air to water, a/a or no intercooler at all is not safe for the fuel.

I would switch back to c16 it is overall better for the a/a intercooler and easier to tune for!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I ran C16 last year with the S480. Never had any issues and the timing was at 36-38. I have installed a gt47-88MM this year in hopes of making a little power. I wonder what it will take to convert the q16 carb back to c16? I'll have to get a hold of Kevin and ask him.

Thanks for all the help. I hope changing fuels helps the throttle response.

·
Registered
972 Posts
I ran C16 last year with the S480. Never had any issues and the timing was at 36-38. I have installed a gt47-88MM this year in hopes of making a little power. I wonder what it will take to convert the q16 carb back to c16? I'll have to get a hold of Kevin and ask him.

Thanks for all the help. I hope changing fuels helps the throttle response.
Did you have 36-38 degrees in the car under full boost or just when spooling it?

Also I thought that the only mod to the carb for q16 was different jetting?

Finally are you still running a stock block with the gt47-88?

·
Registered
7,855 Posts
Should be able to just jet it down and reset the idle mixture screws going back to C16. Just be careful jetting the primary side since that needs to be right for good low/part throttle driveability.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did you have 36-38 degrees in the car under full boost or just when spooling it?

Also I thought that the only mod to the carb for q16 was different jetting?

Finally are you still running a stock block with the gt47-88?
The 36-38 degrees was the initial timing. Than I used a map sensor on my 7531 and took out a degree of timing for every pound of boost. Pretty conservative but it got me a 5.85 at 3100# with a soft 1.45 60 ft. That was with the stock GM block.

I have upgraded this year to a Dart block. I plan on testing tomorrow so we will see how it goes.

Thanks.

·
Registered
24,124 Posts
The 36-38 degrees was the initial timing. Than I used a map sensor on my 7531 and took out a degree of timing for every pound of boost. Pretty conservative but it got me a 5.85 at 3100# with a soft 1.45 60 ft. That was with the stock GM block.

I have upgraded this year to a Dart block. I plan on testing tomorrow so we will see how it goes.

Thanks.
Very consevative for C-16 .

Good luck on the testing .

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Regarding not using Q16 with an air to air intercooler..

Are you guys absolutely certain about that ??

The reason I ask is because Q16 has a Motor Octane Rating of 116.. The test done to establish this rating is on a motor that has a 300 degree air intake temperature..

300 degree intake temps are what you'd expect to see on a "non-intercooled" 20+ lbs of boost, supercharged setup.. A good air to air intercooler will cut that temperature in half..

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
I know you will lose three gallons of that stuff to evap over night if you don't put a cap on the fuel cell vent. LOL.

·
Registered
519 Posts
You need lots of fuel volume with Q. But like Tim said, I also would not run Q non-intercooled. Stick with C16.

Craig
x2 had the same issue switched from Q to C116 problem gone.Just crank the boost if you need more power.

·
Registered
374 Posts
x2 had the same issue switched from Q to C116 problem gone.Just crank the boost if you need more power.

How do your carb fires compare from Q to C? Do you melt more shit under the hood with the Q?

·
Montgomery Ragland
3,016 Posts
I know you will lose three gallons of that stuff to evap over night if you don't put a cap on the fuel cell vent. LOL.
Whoo I remember standing there just smelling it evaping. Seal it up real good thats for sure.

·
Custom Engine Shop
3,812 Posts

Thanks.
How many lbs of boost before you start pulling timing?

·
Registered
470 Posts
mix a bit of upper end lube with it...it eats stuff away like acid. Not worth the small gains in hp for me. will stick with c-16 or maximal.

·
Registered
519 Posts
How do your carb fires compare from Q to C? Do you melt more shit under the hood with the Q?
Im here to learn and gave my 2 cents about this thread.If you have nothing to offer GET OUT.Go troll some where else!!!!

·
Registered
374 Posts
Im here to learn and gave my 2 cents about this thread.If you have nothing to offer GET OUT.Go troll some where else!!!!
NO ONE should be taking any kind of advice from a guy (you) that can't get his shit down the track.

Yes....you have a lot to learn.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Not one bit of trouble using Q16 with an air to air intercooler here. Last I checked.... The fuel doesn't know how the air is getting into the engine or what it is or is not going through to enter.

Sounds like you have other issues other than the fuel.

Ran 38-40 before boost to help spool, 24 under full boost (18psi on dyno) and 12.3-12.5 a/f. Never peppered a plug and the timing mark on the strap was spot on.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts