Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at the track yesterday and went up for my second time trial. As I was sitting in the water box idling the car died clean and quick like I flipped the switch. Couldn't restart and got towed back. I checked for spark on one plug and there wasn't any. I replaced the pro power coil with a spare and it fired up. Ok problem soved.

I go up first round (missed tt 2 & 3) and win. I get my ticket and driving down the return road it died again. Same deal, no pop or sputter. Wouldn't restart so tow back. Tried cranking with a spark plug in the coil wire and no spark. Second round is called after 40 minutes it fires. I should say it runs and refires in the lanes fine. I win second round and coming back it dies nearly in the same spot on the return road. Rounds go quicker now and I miss the call for third round cause it won't fire. 30 minutes later, it fires and runs fine. The box is a 7AL3 that is just at a year old or so. The coil is an older Pro Power that I've been meaning to replace since I bought the car. The only thing I did this week is change the plugs. Anybody experience anything like this?

·
Registered
19,606 Posts
I had an issue about 6 weeks ago, I have msd 6 box, with crank trigger, 355 sbc 13.5 to 1 . I got slip and the scale was open I shut car off the display is not facing car, I go to start car and it just cranks. of course I run battery down. 12v. It has alternator, temp outside was over 90. My wife comes to help out and she cranks car and it has spark. The only thing I could figure on is I didn't have enough voltage or didn't open throttle wide enough? It was the only time it happen, I figured maybe vapor? or who the fuck knows. Id check the interference few ppl there told me same its not wired near anything else. It has ground from chassis to block on my car too.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
I had a very similar problem. It was the green and purple ignition pick up wires. If it has the MSD quick connect plugs, they tend to loose their spring tension and the vibrations make them loose contact and you start to miss. I had this problem during eliminations and the car shut off for a split second and then refired during the run. I cut the quick connect plugs out and wired them direct and the problem went away.

·
TEAM CARB
45,348 Posts
I had a very similar problem. It was the green and purple ignition pick up wires. If it has the MSD quick connect plugs, they tend to loose their spring tension and the vibrations make them loose contact and you start to miss. I had this problem during elimantions and the car shut off for a split second and then refired duning the run. I cut the quick connect plugs out and wired them direct and the problem went away.
I use small zip ties to hold mine together...

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
If running a distributor then the Circuit in the trigger heating up and failing.

You could try re-bedding it in thermal paste.

I'd plan on replacing it very soon.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I checked the grounds and voltage when it wouldn't start. I haven't changed anything wiring wise so I'm not suspecting interference issues. IMSHOT, I agree on the crank trigger pickup being a possibility but the key here it seems is that it quit after a duration in time which makes me suspect something's getting hot. That was why I immediately suspected the coil. After swapping in a different one, I'm left suspecting the box. I'm trying to locate a different box to try.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts