Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Erect Member
3,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My GE fridge isnt cooling worth a shit and I dont know whats up with it. It just recently started acting up a few days ago, found the spoiled milk and noticed it was quite warm. I turned the temp to all the way cold a few hours ago and it still feels warm inside. What are some things I should look for? Gracias....

·
KEVIN CAPS LOCK
81,133 Posts
CAN YOU HEAR THE COMPRESSOR?

·
Registered
4,588 Posts
Pull it out and clean the dust off it , underneath especially . You wont believe what you will find under there even in a really clean house .

·
Beer makes me pee
9,746 Posts
check to see if it is frozen up in the back of the frezzer. A lot of times the defroster goes out and the air cannot get in to the frige

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
How old is it? On some fridge's like the one I have has a tube going into one of the vents to measure temp. It is for your themostat. If it has one, make sure it is still in the right place. The thermostat itself maybe acting up as well. smack it with your hand a few times on the bottom side of it.

·
Erect Member
3,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, I did pull it away and vacuum it out. I believe it is about 10 years old, was in the house when I got here. I will check those things out.

·
WHAT NOW ?
16,689 Posts
first problem is its a shit GE fridg....most likley defrost timer.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Originally Posted by malibu
first problem is its a shit GE fridg....most likley defrost timer.
Side by Side possible board issue,low freon issue?

·
your mamas ride home
15,297 Posts
Side by Side possible board issue,low freon issue?
Fridges don't go low on refrigerant like an ac unit.

Look on the back of the fridge for a large cover. That would be where the board is of it has one. Do you hear and clicking sounds coming from the back if the fridge? Frost built up on the freezer back inner wall? Typically he has a bi metal issue or element issue. However if its new enough to have the control board on the back. It would be a thermistor issue and possibly a board and evaporation fan motor(make sure that is running in the freezer). Is it running constantly and for a long period if time?

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
Definitely sounds repairable and almost definitely cheaper than buying a new one. My old fridge is 35+ years old and I wouldn't trade it for all the new ones on the planet.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts