Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife's 2006 500 had the check engine light on and died while driving. I'm out of town right now, so I told her to take it to the local dealer. They pulled codes, pin point test, etc. and found a P2106. Said the throttle body was out of range and EGR was sticking. They also recommended a engine de-carb. She freaked when they told her that it was going to be $1250 + tax.
I told her I would look at it this weekend. Do I need to replace the t.b. or clean or ?????

Thanks in advance,
Gary

·
Registered
348 Posts
The car died when driving as in cut off spins no start or would only idle or had limited throttle? The code you have is for the throttle actuator control there could be a couple things going on replacing the throttle body its usually what we do it comes with all sensors and should be easy to replace.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Going by the code set yes I haven't seen one do as you described but they do crazy things as that replacing the tb is the best way to elininate everything but the pcm.I haven't had anyone come back after replacement.The price you listed is probably including the decarb etc. You can buy it over the counter and do it yourself you may try to find someone that works at a dealer to get the part we get a good discount on most parts.

·
THE BBK
1,215 Posts
P2106 is a forced limited idle code. That can be caused by the throttle body when the vehicle goes in fail safe mode. Throttle bodys and EGR valve are both very common problems on 500s. I dont see why the EGR valve would need to be replaced with that code and concern. If the EGR valve was sticking you would most likely hava a P0401 insufficent flow or a P0402 excessive flow detected code. As for the decarb how many miles does the vehicle have if its under 50,000-60,000 it doesnt need it they are just looking to make some extra money. Trust me I deal with this every day. Chances are the Throttle body took a crap. Sometime and I have only tried this on personal and friends vehicles you can clean the Electronic Throttle body and recalibrate the pcm. Might save you some money/ Let me know if you need anymore help

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool. The car has 54,000 miles. If I replace the throttle body, do I have to have the PCM re-calibrated also? I wish that the dealer that I used to work at (I was a heavy line tech) didn't close down. I lost touch with pretty much all of the techs that I knew there since I changed jobs 8 years ago....
Thanks for the replies guys. I guess that I'll start pricing throttle bodies when I get home.

Gary

·
Registered
49,832 Posts
Fderal Law on emissions Components is 8yr and 80,000 miles. A fialed EGR valve is a fialed emissions component. Tell them to warranty the part and labor.

I am comming up with a fialure of the ETC or electronic Throttle System. Sounds like Recall time honestly. I have been hearing about alot of fialures with the newer Ford ETC units.

It looks like the throttle controll is routed through the EGR valve. Tell them to bad and to fix it.
My wife's 2006 500 had the check engine light on and died while driving. I'm out of town right now, so I told her to take it to the local dealer. They pulled codes, pin point test, etc. and found a P2106. Said the throttle body was out of range and EGR was sticking. They also recommended a engine de-carb. She freaked when they told her that it was going to be $1250 + tax.
I told her I would look at it this weekend. Do I need to replace the t.b. or clean or ?????

Thanks in advance,
Gary

·
THE BBK
1,215 Posts
The EGR valve and the Eletronic Throttle body are 2 seperate components and do not monitor off of each other. Good luck getting them to warranty it. It wont happen. maybe if your lucky since you are pretty low on milage you could get them to P05 it which means that ford will pick up the tab for it for you being a good customer but that is the dealerships decision. Good Luck

·
Registered
49,832 Posts
Look up Pinpoin test QE in the ford service manual for the 2006 ford 500.

The EGR valve and the Eletronic Throttle body are 2 seperate components and do not monitor off of each other. Good luck getting them to warranty it. It wont happen. maybe if your lucky since you are pretty low on milage you could get them to P05 it which means that ford will pick up the tab for it for you being a good customer but that is the dealerships decision. Good Luck

·
Outrunning the Big Blocks
3,270 Posts
2 tb options for your car.
Water heated and non-heated.
Post the VIN and I will run it for you.

Either list for around 200.00 if
you are paying for it.

·
THE BBK
1,215 Posts
Everything is intergrated into the EGR valve which its called the ESM. The ESM monitors baro and EGR only. Only thing that the ESM and the Throttle body have together is VREF and that is what the pinpoint test is asking. THEY DO NOT WORK TOGETHER. Sorry you are not going to have a P2106 caused by the ESM unless the Dpfe sensor which is intergrated into ESM is shorted to VREF which is spiking the PCM causing it to go into fail safe mode which is your code P2106. Have anymore questions feel free to ask.

·
Registered
49,832 Posts
The gentleman here is saying that the dealer is claiming BOTH PARTS ARE BADthat would tell what I already know about the average ford Dealer Tech. To lazy to do the testing to discover the actual fualt.

Everything is intergrated into the EGR valve which its called the ESM. The ESM monitors baro and EGR only. Only thing that the ESM and the Throttle body have together is VREF and that is what the pinpoint test is asking. THEY DO NOT WORK TOGETHER. Sorry you are not going to have a P2106 caused by the ESM unless the Dpfe sensor which is intergrated into ESM is shorted to VREF which is spiking the PCM causing it to go into fail safe mode which is your code P2106. Have anymore questions feel free to ask.

·
THE BBK
1,215 Posts
The gentleman here is saying that the dealer is claiming BOTH PARTS ARE BADthat would tell what I already know about the average ford Dealer Tech. To lazy to do the testing to discover the actual fualt.
I am a driveability tech for a ford dealer AND IM CLAMING that by the code and the symptom that both parts arent bad. I take pride in my work and make sure I fix the problem the first time with no comebacks. I was trained to use my knowledge not throw parts at a vehicle till its fixed. Im not trying to have a contest with you about who is smarter or what. I deal with Ford Driveability every day for a living and Im just trying to help the gentlemen save some money

P.S. I dont make a $100 Grand a year buy being lazy

·
Registered
348 Posts
Not all dealer techs are like that I am one also and don't but I have coworkers that do and management will not do anything to stop it.We have lost alot of customers because of it.I try my best when diagnosising but everyone can make mistakes. By all means do not look at a dealers or techs like that they are so good guys out there.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts