Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a used Kaiser 40 ASD compressor. It was set up for 460 volts. I am changing it to 230 volt, 3 phase. So far it’s a disaster as the motor wires were all mixed up. So the motor field wires are labeled 1 through 6.
I was told that they should be paired 1&6, 2&4, 3&5. Each pair hooked to a 3 phase leg. When I tried it this way I got some 60 cycle growling but that’s about all. For 230 volts, does this sound like the correct hookup? I don’t want to burn it up! But I might set it on fire soon…. Jon Kaase

·
Registered
680 Posts
I bought a used Kaiser 40 ASD compressor. It was set up for 460 volts. I am changing it to 230 volt, 3 phase. So far it’s a disaster as the motor wires were all mixed up. So the motor field wires are labeled 1 through 6.
I was told that they should be paired 1&6, 2&4, 3&5. Each pair hooked to a 3 phase leg. When I tried it this way I got some 60 cycle growling but that’s about all. For 230 volts, does this sound like the correct hookup? I don’t want to burn it up! But I might set it on fire soon…. Jon Kaase
Slope Font Parallel Rectangle Pattern
Slope Font Parallel Rectangle Pattern

·
Message In Blood
2,059 Posts
Thanks. I will hook the field wires up in those pairs directly to the cutoff box. It has continuity between 1&4,2&5, and 3&6 just like you show. And none go to ground. If the whole electric grid in the southeast goes down with a blackout, you’ll know it didn’t work!
I'd disconnect the motor and check voltage coming out of the contactor. It sounds like you have lost a phase with the 60 hz growl you described.

• Helpful
Reactions: RamblerRacer

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good news. I wired it direct to the cut off box and the motor runs good. I think the mother board or something with an overload cut out has shit the bed because the digital display shows nothing. Any good Kaiser techs on here??

·
Registered
103 Posts
Good news. I wired it direct to the cut off box and the motor runs good. I think the mother board or something with an overload cut out has shit the bed because the digital display shows nothing. Any good Kaiser techs on here??
No, and I'm not an electrician, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn recently... but I did find this and maybe it helps if you haven't already seen it:

Looks like there's quite a few jumpers/settings on other things to change.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts