Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 522bbc with f2 procharger blowing thru an air to water intercooler into a dual needle and set csu carb. its in a 69 camaro car weights 3,660 with driver. mini tubbed with 29x10.5x15 ladder bar suspension. car is all new, it has been 5.70 at 130mph with a weak ass 1.58, 60ft. on 15 pounds of boost. i have a 7531msd box and i have a steve morris boost controller but i still cant seem to get the car to hook hard trying to leave with any type of power... ive been pulling out 15 degrees of timing and ramping it back in over 2seconds to run what i have run.

pretty much in the dark on the whole car its all new to me would greatly appreciate any help anyone could give at this point. i live in a small back wooded area lol and cant seem to find anyone with any knowledge to help me out. Either the car leaves like a snail and runs 5.70s or i put timing in it and blows the tires off!

here is a video of the car, maybe you can tell something by the way it leaves:

http://www.nastyracing.net/forum/king-of-the-hollow-preview-t994.html

·
Registered
27,956 Posts
My 2

My 2 cents for what it's worth. It looks like the car isn't planting the rear tires at all. From what I can see there is no rear shock extension when the car leaves, just front travel is all that I see. If you can plant the rear tire and extend the back shock, you can probably leave without any or very little retard.

Looks like you are leaving a bunch on the table. If you are running a double adjustable shock in the rear loosen up on the rebound. If you aren't that's what I'd do next.

·
Registered
27,956 Posts
Video

It's kinda hard to tell on the video, a slo-mo close up from the rear quartering away would tell you if that's it. Daytime if possible.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sorry, but that's the only good rear shot videos of the car i have at the moment and the supercharger is actually down at the moment and sent off to ATI or i would shoot another.

·
Registered
27,956 Posts
No Sound

That's what I get for not having any sound on my work computer!

Beautiful car though!

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ive run the car without the wheelie bars and it did the same exact thing.

but i also changed converters and went to a 1.38 60 ft.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's what I get for not having any sound on my work computer!

Beautiful car though!
thanks. the supercharger was working in that video though. haha.

but i think you're right. there seems to be something wrong with the suspension and im not a suspension expert. wish i was. and to most people around here the whole setup is pretty foreign to them and its hard to find someone who knows what they're talking about in this small area. people can blow hot air all day to try and take my money but its not gonna help me in the end.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My 2 cents for what it's worth. It looks like the car isn't planting the rear tires at all. From what I can see there is no rear shock extension when the car leaves, just front travel is all that I see. If you can plant the rear tire and extend the back shock, you can probably leave without any or very little retard.

Looks like you are leaving a bunch on the table. If you are running a double adjustable shock in the rear loosen up on the rebound. If you aren't that's what I'd do next.
the shocks are single adjustable and they're on the stiffest setting now.

what double adjustable shocks would you recommend? and would you use the springs off the ones i have now or buy new springs? if so, what kind?

these shocks are off a lighter car setup for 3000 lb. car. this car is 3660 lbs. would that be a problem? i'd say yes, but im no suspension expert as i said.

·
Registered
27,956 Posts
Suspension

the shocks are single adjustable and they're on the stiffest setting now.

what double adjustable shocks would you recommend? and would you use the springs off the ones i have now or buy new springs? if so, what kind?

these shocks are off a lighter car setup for 3000 lb. car. this car is 3660 lbs. would that be a problem? i'd say yes, but im no suspension expert as i said.

Man, that is the million dollar question. You'll get tons of answers on that one. My car has qa1 double adjustables. They have too many adjustments!!! 24 compression and 24 rebound! But they made a big difference in the power that could be applied in 60 ft.

Spring rates I know a little, but not enough, I leave that to my chassis guy. I'm running a stock suspension Camaro. But my Mustang is a ladder bar car. With the kind of power you should have, there isn't a reason in the world that thing shouldn't at least be in the 1.2xx's on the short time. I'd be willing to bet that car will run some 5.20's - 5.30's pretty easily. More if you get aggressive with it.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
what rpm are you leaving at? Its not shocking the tire at all so its hard to see if its separating.
3500 rpms. on the trans break.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Man, that is the million dollar question. You'll get tons of answers on that one. My car has qa1 double adjustables. They have too many adjustments!!! 24 compression and 24 rebound! But they made a big difference in the power that could be applied in 60 ft.

Spring rates I know a little, but not enough, I leave that to my chassis guy. I'm running a stock suspension Camaro. But my Mustang is a ladder bar car. With the kind of power you should have, there isn't a reason in the world that thing shouldn't at least be in the 1.2xx's on the short time. I'd be willing to bet that car will run some 5.20's - 5.30's pretty easily. More if you get aggressive with it.
do you know a good chassis guy that would be willing to talk on the phone? i'd even pay for some advice if need be.

leaving at 3500 on the trans break. think i should try leaving harder?

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
if i try to leave without pulling out timing, it won't even move out of its tracks. it just incinerates the tires. the car is done.

the car is also as fast on the foot brake as it is on the trans.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
There's one problem.....that's why you are getting almost no tire plant (extension).
Go to about 3 from full soft and try it.
X2 I didnt see that.
Remember the shock adjustment controls the rate the shock extends. So you are not allowing the housing to separate from the chassis, thus no downforce on the tires. I would start at half way though. Then in the video you should see the body rise up slightly from the rear tires when you launch.
If its squatting the I/C may need to be changed.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ive had different motor combos in the car before with lesser HP and it has never left real good. Its never really lifted the front end off the ground really.

I had the car at K&B Race Cars in Bowling Green, KY and they said everything looked pretty much where it should be except maybe double adjustable coilovers on the front. And that I needed to go to a double coilover adjustable on the back.

He said the pinion angle didn't matter, but would like someone else's opinion on it. It's a zero degree pinion angle now.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts