Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Beer me!!
22,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Working on the 350 in my buddy's 72 Chevelle, this is the number I got off of the front passenger side deck surface:

M01239VP

I'm curious to know things like compression, and pistons. He seems to think it's a crate engine, I don't have a clue. Any and all help is greatly appreciated!!!

·
Beer me!!
22,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My buddy is pretty sure that it's a 350, but I don't know for sure. That would be pretty cool if it's a Z/28 engine!

·
Registered
754 Posts
what does the front balancer look like?

Is it big? or skinny?

·
Registered
23,994 Posts
My buddy is pretty sure that it's a 350, but I don't know for sure. That would be pretty cool if it's a Z/28 engine!
If it is a 68 Z-28 it isn't a 350. 67- 69 Z-28 were all 302's, First Z-28 with a 350 was 1970.

·
www.ULTRA-CARBON.com
12,739 Posts
Hencho In Mexico brudder. That number you referenced is the serial number. If it starts with M it is a mexican made GM replacement crate motor. Had a buddy buy one a few years back. It was complete crap. $1300 for a complete engine and it didn't last him a year. Your buddy is better off finding a nice seasoned block from a 70s truck.

·
Beer me!!
22,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hencho In Mexico brudder. That number you referenced is the serial number. If it starts with M it is a mexican made GM replacement crate motor. Had a buddy buy one a few years back. It was complete crap. $1300 for a complete engine and it didn't last him a year. Your buddy is better off finding a nice seasoned block from a 70s truck.
Like I said, he seems to think it is some sort of crate engine, so I guess he isn't too far off. These guys don't know much about engines or cars in general, but he's wanting to learn from this experience. All he wants to do is a cam and head swap. I was thinking something like an aftermarket vortec head around 180 cc, and a moderate hydraulic cam around 220 duration. I doubt it would even make 400 hp, would this short block handle it? I know people that have made pretty big power on stock shit, and had their engines last for a long time, but as we all know, not every engine will handle bigger power.

·
Beer me!!
22,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Getting back to this deal, long story short, we ended up rebuilding the thing, .030 over, speed pro hypers, ten/ten on the crank, balanced, etc., should work pretty good.

Here's my next question, the block is an 036 block, and according to that website the 036 block is a one piece rear main block, and this one is very much a two piece block. Whats the deal?

·
Registered
164 Posts
According to my mortec papers, it's a target master 350 crate motor made is mexico. I also says it's a 2 piece rear seal. casting number 10066036.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts