Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may seem like an easy fix for some but for me it's not working out so well. I have a project due next week for my Engineering Graphics class. We were allowed to recreate an item of our choosing in Inventor as our final project. I have all of the pieces complete except for the ball bearing portion of my casters. I need help constraining the ball bearings. I've been constraining each individial ball on the tangent to both the ball next to it and the race, but after about 6 or 7 balls are contrained they shift and seem to fall through my race. What am I doing wrong and is there a better way to do this? This is the way my instructor told me to do it.

Thank you for an help you can give.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Thinking aloud; try sketching a circle on a plane at your desired height and use that to constrain the origin of each ball. I haven't used inventor in a while so I'm not to sure if that will work. I'm using solidworks at my current job, but I've done similar things in sw to fix constraining issues. Classic boosts suggestion sounds solid.

·
Registered
146 Posts
no reason to have multiples of the same solid in the model. Insert one and constrain it then do a circular pattern. It will reduce file size and make updates/changes simpler.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
I'm going off ProE here, but can you make a circle trajectory, pattern a series of data points and then constrain the ball's axis to the datum axis and then pattern.

Maybe?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
IN solidworks I would use planes to constrain the balls. Tangent is not a very stable constraint, too many problems can move it around.
Get one in place with planes and do a circular pattern for the rest

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wish we were using solidworks, it would be so much easier. Inventor has a bearing tool to build the bearing for you but it's very complicated. I've tried using the pattern option already, it keeps giving me an error, but I know this is the way I'm going to have to do it. I'm going to play with it some more in the morning. I know it's user error, I just have to figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks for the help guys, I appreciate it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts