Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I am putting the rod and pistons together for my friends 427 FE thunderbolt clone, I havn't done an FE engine in a long long time, when putting the rods on the pistons which way do the bearing tabs go, do they go to the outside of the block, or do they go to the inside of the block (towards the cam). I hope that this makes sense . Thanks

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
The only thing I can remember right now is on the factory rods the stamped number faced out. Not sure which side the tab was is relation to the number.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks but these are aftermarket rods, so there is no number on them, I think that most tabs go to the outside , but Im just not to sure about this engine as it is from the sixties, and I do not want to assemble it wrong , thanks again for the reply

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Tab usually go to the inside on a Ford be it FE or otherwise. To make certain take the rod and locate the chamfered side of the big end,that side will go against the fillet of the rod journal,flat side of the big end will go toward the middle of the journal.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Matt, I know about the champhor going to the crank fillit, good advice, This should be a killer engine when done , its going into a 1967 Fairlane that the owner bought new in 67, and it had the 427 engine in it, it has sat at least 20 years in his shop but is in great shape, he has a slew of Holman and Moody parts on this car. Thanks Again

·
Registered
13,485 Posts
crank radius fillet chamfer to match the rod is all that is most important.
you have to put the bearing in correctly.

dont forget that all of the early blocks used a different FLANGE OUTSIDE DIAMETER on the crank thrust bearing.
some also have oil feed hole on BOTH inserts, even though oil only has to pass in thru the one that is in the block,...not the cap....some brands of bearings have a wider locating tang.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts