Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
been running the same combo, same tune up, for six years, never an issue.. last night at the track, it started breaking up at higher rpm. I swore it was eating a spark plug . that's what it felt, and sounded like... checked everything.. I found my distributor rotor flopping around in the cap. bolts were very loose.. tightened it all up.. made a pass,, no difference.. very strange. runs great threw the burn out, and all the way threw first gear, right before I shift to second, it starts its breaking up thing, then right before high gear it comes back, and continues all the way threw to end of 1/4 mile...does this sound more like ignition break down, or running out of fuel thing...ive been checking everything, and cant find an issue.. thanks for any help.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Sounds ignition to me. Install new plugs and ohm check wires if u don't want to replace them , new coil , cap n rotor wouldn't hurt either . After that check timing . Does ur distributor have a mechanical advance stop bushings or anything?timing can fluctuate at high rpm if not. Make sure 5 and 7 wires don't touch each other . Check ur distributor for excessive play also .

Probably a bad wire or plug or something stupid but check ur valve train and lash just to be safe and u might as well check float level and sticking needle and seat

·
Registered
799 Posts
How old is the Ignition coil ? Sounds like the coil is breaking down under the load in high gear. Very common as the coil gets older.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Is there a module in the bottom of the distributer? We have had that problem twice in 10 years. $29 part that drives you crazy trying to find it.

·
Registered
10,343 Posts
Sounds ignition to me. Install new plugs and ohm check wires if u don't want to replace them , new coil , cap n rotor wouldn't hurt either . After that check timing . Does ur distributor have a mechanical advance stop bushings or anything?timing can fluctuate at high rpm if not. Make sure 5 and 7 wires don't touch each other . Check ur distributor for excessive play also .

Probably a bad wire or plug or something stupid but check ur valve train and lash just to be safe and u might as well check float level and sticking needle and seat
That is one baddass 60 Chevy!!

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no modual, but im ordering a new coil tonight. it is a blaster 2 coil.. I was wondering, if the distributor ncap nwas flopping around, that it might have messed up my msd 6al box... so many different things it could be, pullin my hair out searching.. thanks for all your ideas. I will check them all.

·
Registered
5,667 Posts
been running the same combo, same tune up, for six years, never an issue.. last night at the track, it started breaking up at higher rpm. I swore it was eating a spark plug . that's what it felt, and sounded like... checked everything.. I found my distributor rotor flopping around in the cap. bolts were very loose.. tightened it all up.. made a pass,, no difference.. very strange. runs great threw the burn out, and all the way threw first gear, right before I shift to second, it starts its breaking up thing, then right before high gear it comes back, and continues all the way threw to end of 1/4 mile...does this sound more like ignition break down, or running out of fuel thing...ive been checking everything, and cant find an issue.. thanks for any help.
are you running a progressive controller ? , you might have a short to the solenoids when they come on. did you try a pass on motor only just to make sure. I know it sounds stupied , but you said it sounds fine in the burnout and threw first gear then when you shift to second it starts missing ? Sounds to me like your controller isn't working like it should.

had a similar situation with a friends top sportsman car , everything was fine with the burnout. he staged the car , purged the system. Lights came down and KABOOM !!!
We took the hole top end of the car apart , checked ignition , plugs , etc etc. When we went to check the nitrous system that's where we found that his controller wasn't working. we put in a new controller and same thing , not working , we ended up chasing wires back under the dash to find one that had shorted out !!

·
Super Moderator
12,175 Posts
First off if it were mine and starts popping I would not be legging all the way through the 1/4 mile. Doing so may cause engine damage. Does this combo have a cprank trigger. Is the happening with a nitrous system turned on. Does it do it with it off.

What is your tune and what fuel were you using. It could be as simple as the fuel change you made needs a little different tune. SJ

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It started during eliminations, went 5 rounds. kept winning, so I kept trying things between rounds.. I agree with you,, heat of the battle kinda thing.. no crank trigger.. small block chevy, msd 6al, msd 3 step retard, pro billet distributor..nothing fancy anywhere..using a big shot plate with I.S. solinoids.. shooting 250 to it.. normaly runs 9.18.. ran 9.30 popping and missing... its got me soo upset, that I called off work today, to search for a solution.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
What do the terminals look like on the inside of the cap? Rotor? As mentioned, check the coil with an ohm meter, or borrow/steal another.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
cap, and rotor are new, and look nice, checked coil with meter. seems ok, I just talked to msd hot line tech guy.. he suggested that my 3 step retard box might be going bad. suggested disconnecting it.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
So it runs good on the burn out and under the load breaking up. Sounds like a plug wire grounding out on something? it will take the least path of resistance

·
Registered
320 Posts
If its an msd distributor yank it out and pull the bearing out and check it.They go bad and send noise through the pickup.Did you ever put some different heads on it or still the same ones?

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
same heads.... couldn't get the money together for upgrades... I checked the plug wires, they are perfect looking, and very clear of headers...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts