Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my Grand National down to 3505 with me in it. I want to take another 100lbs, I'll be happy with 50lbs but prefer 100.

I did all the normal stuff.....tubular from control arms, wilwoods, manual steering, fiberglass hood/bumpers, Kirkeys, lightweight carpet, removed HVAC system, door crash bars, aluminum rad support, aluminum rad, fuel cell, etc, etc.

I was looking into changing the stock transmission crossmember with a 4130 chromoly one by Iceman http://www.maliburacing.com/iceman/New%20Lightweight%20Crossmember.html . I e-mailed him and he stated that a stock piece weighs around 27lbs and his weighs 6.5lbs.

Anyone use Iceman Products?

I have Weld Draglites on. Fronts are skinnies and rears are 15x10s. How much will I take off going to Bogarts? I have a set of 15x3.5 Bogarts in my garage, already.

Anyone else have any ideas for weight removal? I don't want to totally gut the car, I still want it to be presentable.

Thanks

Billy T.
[email protected]

·
Registered
225 Posts
Just before you race, take a whole bottle of XLAX.........:finga:

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
176 Posts
Got my Grand National down to 3505 with me in it. I want to take another 100lbs, I'll be happy with 50lbs but prefer 100.

I did all the normal stuff.....tubular from control arms, wilwoods, manual steering, fiberglass hood/bumpers, Kirkeys, lightweight carpet, removed HVAC system, door crash bars, aluminum rad support, aluminum rad, fuel cell, etc, etc.

I was looking into changing the stock transmission crossmember with a 4130 chromoly one by Iceman http://www.maliburacing.com/iceman/New%20Lightweight%20Crossmember.html . I e-mailed him and he stated that a stock piece weighs around 27lbs and his weighs 6.5lbs.

Anyone use Iceman Products?

I have Weld Draglites on. Fronts are skinnies and rears are 15x10s. How much will I take off going to Bogarts? I have a set of 15x3.5 Bogarts in my garage, already.

Anyone else have any ideas for weight removal? I don't want to totally gut the car, I still want it to be presentable.

Thanks

Billy T.
[email protected]
What does just the car weigh?

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
176 Posts
What's up Doc. It's at 3505 (first line of post). Be at Cecil ?

Getting down to nitty griddy of weight removal.

Billy T.
[email protected]
Yes I was asking what the car is without you? I can't see how your car is 3505 when mine is 3360 with me and a full stock interior with power seat? I will be at Cecil. Are you going to make the trip? TSM and TSO should be exciting to see.

·
Un-Official YB Tormentor
5,087 Posts
change out the "shocks" for C/M struts for the bumper

drill out the other bumper supports

use lightweight headlights (plastic instead of glass)

drill the frame horns ahead of the K frame

cut the bottom of the K frame out, block off plates, and 1.625 x.134 tube in its place

Loose the manual box and replace with rack/pinion

lose the inner fenders

drill out any braces, even hood latch hook, hinges. gun drill any bolts that arent critical. It all adds up. You can make the holes look decent, and even attractive if you plan it out.

DON'T TRY TO TAKE WEIGHT OUT OF THE BACK. Its counterproductive on G bodies.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
What's that part# for the plastic lights? I disagree with the inner fender ditch. Just remove the metal from the plastic and reinstall.
What about your door crash bars? That's an easy 30-40#'s. Over on MR.com they have a sticky on this very same issue.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes I was asking what the car is without you? I can't see how your car is 3505 when mine is 3360 with me and a full stock interior with power seat? I will be at Cecil. Are you going to make the trip? TSM and TSO should be exciting to see.
Ahhh, I weigh 250lbs. So the car weighs, 3255lbs. Yep be at Cecil. Hopefully no drama either.

Billy T.
[email protected]

·
Registered
176 Posts
Ahhh, I weigh 250lbs. So the car weighs, 3255lbs. Yep be at Cecil. Hopefully no drama either.

Billy T.
[email protected]
Your car has to be lighter than mine and I weigh 190#'s. I am 3360 and weigh my car at least 50 times a year on several different scales. There is no way your car is that heavy with all the stuff you have done. My GN is a 34k mile car and I can assure you I've only cut what was necessary on the car for the roll bar. It has never seen a hole saw and even has the stock wheel tubs. Even with the crash bars and full pwr doors with CS and a full out the back exhaust the car was 3450. I still have pwr stock seats front and rear!

I'm sure there will be some drama especially in TSM with who all is showing. TSO has been kind smooth this year for a change. Ted, Dave and I all have a shot at the championship with a win at Cecil.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
You can take another 50 lb off the car. Then how bout you loose 50 lbs yourself. Im sure your lovely girlfriend will thank you!

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Your car has to be lighter than mine and I weigh 190#'s. I am 3360 and weigh my car at least 50 times a year on several different scales. There is no way your car is that heavy with all the stuff you have done. My GN is a 34k mile car and I can assure you I've only cut what was necessary on the car for the roll bar. It has never seen a hole saw and even has the stock wheel tubs. Even with the crash bars and full pwr doors with CS and a full out the back exhaust the car was 3450. I still have pwr stock seats front and rear!
My car is a 10K mile and I too cut what was necessary for the roll cage. I will not hole saw my car.

What's killing me is that I have a TA aluminum block and the car weighs that much.:mad:

I don't know why my car weighs that much????:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Billy T.
[email protected]

·
Registered
176 Posts
My car is a 10K mile and I too cut what was necessary for the roll cage. I will not hole saw my car.

What's killing me is that I have a TA aluminum block and the car weighs that much.:mad:

I don't know why my car weighs that much????:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Billy T.
[email protected]
Bring it to Cecil and race TSO. I would be happy to look it over and give an opinion.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts