Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
currently i have a 13:1 408, afr heads, vic jr intake, 4500 tb, want to change to a carb setup on it cause i am tired of laptop shit what is the best way to go fast with the carb setup on the ls1, if you can please include part numbers and what is needed to change over. currently have the stock wiring harness and pcm in it went 9.74 on little shot, does anyone think i will gain or at least not lose going to a carb style setup?

·
ProStock Jackstand Winner
25,123 Posts
With the MSD 6010, you will still need a laptop to control the coil packs.

If you buy the front mount distributor kit, and stick with a 7al2 or non digital spark box, you can tune it just like you would any other carb setup.
If you use the distributor with a 7531, you will still need a laptop to set the timing if you want to use the ramp an all the fun features.

I am not too hip on the f/i stuff on the ls engine.. I have only played with carbs.

For ease, the front mount kit would be the most back to basics thing you can do, but the coil pack and the msd 6010 is more precise timing.

I am actually thinking about changing mine to a distributor. not sure yet... MSD is suppose to coming out or may already have out a handheld programmer for the 6010.

·
Registered
49,830 Posts
Toss something like a BS3 in it and you will have an easier time getting it to run right.

At a certian point is requires alot of knowledge to really get a stock PCM to be happy with a radical motor and with a power adder you start running into a wall in a hurry.

currently i have a 13:1 408, afr heads, vic jr intake, 4500 tb, want to change to a carb setup on it cause i am tired of laptop shit what is the best way to go fast with the carb setup on the ls1, if you can please include part numbers and what is needed to change over. currently have the stock wiring harness and pcm in it went 9.74 on little shot, does anyone think i will gain or at least not lose going to a carb style setup?

·
out of work hair dresser
8,341 Posts
Toss something like a BS3 in it and you will have an easier time getting it to run right.
Agreed.

At a certian point is requires alot of knowledge to really get a stock PCM to be happy with a radical motor and with a power adder you start running into a wall in a hurry.
It's not all that hard with a stock PCM and with poweradders. You did hit the nail on the head when you brought "knowledge" into it. 9.oh's on a stock PCM over here!

I know people who have purchased HPTuners, EFILive, and LS1/LS2 Edit (all three) just trying to get the vehicle to idle properly.

I keep telling these people that no matter what software they buy, there isn't going to be a "fix idle" button.

Hell, if it were easy, the women and children would want to do it.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Ive been running the carb and 6010 MSD , Has worked flawless for me .Its not fast but i have been 6.20s @109 with a bone stock 6.0 with a 212/224 cam and a lil n2o in a 3400# truck...

·
Registered
49,830 Posts
I know someone who put 300 bottles of 250hp worth of spray through a stock bottom end 98 ls1 motor. Not really the point of this post.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I know someone who put 300 bottles of 250hp worth of spray through a stock bottom end 98 ls1 motor. Not really the point of this post.
Whoopdy Doo! The point i was making is that the 6010 box is pretty easy to tune with some really good results. Also we have used the map curve and got them to idle quite well.

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
THe hp tuners is a good software to tune with, I comtemplated the carb swap and still am at some extent, but I am not sure that there will be any actual gains from doing so, other then running something different.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have a 6010 Box and MSD coils if interested. The box comes with "curve pills" for timing or you can program your own. Very simple to use. Also Have a front distributor cover kit and other parts. If you use this you need Ford distributor, coil, and an ignition box and its just like old school.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I have a 6010 Box and MSD coils if interested. The box comes with "curve pills" for timing or you can program your own. Very simple to use. Also Have a front distributor cover kit and other parts. If you use this you need Ford distributor, coil, and an ignition box and its just like old school.
Hey man, sent you a PM on some of your parts...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Planning on selling off you current EFI setup ??

1 - 15 of 15 Posts