Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
RED ROCKET
8,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
its for my 85 camaro..all the factory heat/ac stuff was removed when the cage was done so it bare firewall right now..still has the factory carpet...cant drive the car much in the warm weather because it get so hot inside its unreal..like a constant heater...big motor with big headers under the hood.lol...what would be best to put on the inside of the firewall to keep the heat out?

·
RED ROCKET
8,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
250 for the lizard kit..looks like it would be messy to do inside a car.

·
Registered
15,141 Posts
I got material made by Thermo Tec, from Summit Racing.

It's good up to 2000F.

I used it on my floor boards and tranny tunnel.

It cuts easy and I used foil tape to join pieces together.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I Think I used that same thermo Tec stuff I think, an aluminum roll with fiberglass and ultra sticky adhesive on it. Probably a 1/8" to 1/4" thick. Came in a big roll. I used it in the trans tunnel, on the floorboard/firewall transition where my x pipe is close and it made a huge difference. My car used to get real hot inside too (94 Stang)

·
RED ROCKET
8,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got material made by Thermo Tec, from Summit Racing.

It's good up to 2000F.

I used it on my floor boards and tranny tunnel.

It cuts easy and I used foil tape to join pieces together.
that looks like it would work...where did you get the foil tape?

·
Registered
867 Posts
I've been trying to get some heat relief and cannot justify lizard skin. There's a product sold at the home stores, I wonder if its the same as this summit product. Looks like a foil bubble wrap. The home stores definitely sell the tape. The alternative would be dynamat. Seems more geared towards noise than heat. Also seems once that stuff was saturated with heat it would retain it.

·
Registered
15,141 Posts
I know it sounds stupid but you may still want to buy the tape so that if you have to butt the sections up to each other, you have a way to keep them joined together and also sealed.

Like I said, I used a pair of scissors and it cut easily or you can also use a razor knife.

·
RED ROCKET
8,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I know it sounds stupid but you may still want to buy the tape so that if you have to butt the sections up to each other, you have a way to keep them joined together and also sealed.

Like I said, I used a pair of scissors and it cut easily or you can also use a razor knife.
not stupid at all..i plan to tape it as well..sure hope it helps.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
I bought this stuff to do the floors in my Trans Am. The car had long tube headers and I could feel the heat coming thru the carpet. Glued this stuff down and no more heat at all. Not to mention it really helped quiet down the interior of the car. I bought the 100ft roll and I still have half a roll left after doing the entire floor pan and firewall. Stuff goes a long way. :cool:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-Sq-Ft-S...224?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item41662b9410

·
Heavy Metal Thunder.
2,196 Posts
You can make your own lizard skin .I have researched it.Looks fairly easy to do and not as expensive as store bought.All ya need is glass spheres and paint.Do a google search.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts