Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
SPEL CHECK
3,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
guy brought me a 98 chevy suburan with motor locked up (6.5 turbo), i swapped a junk yard motor (complete) . had a very hard time getting motor to fire up and when it did it seemed to be running away (4-5k rpms) black soot out exhaust, so i shut it off. it did this about 3 times then finally now it will just rev up and down 2-3 k rpms. check engine light on now & will scan tonight , any one ever experence this ?

thank you for your time:smt100
jon anderson
229 456 6047 (call or text if you can)

·
Smuck
9,063 Posts
Which injection pump did you use? Was gonna say post up over at dieselplace but I see you already have

·
Registered
248 Posts
my first thought would be the injector driver on the side of the pump (PMD). they are notorious for going bad and will sometimes cause symtoms like you're seeing. could also be problems with the throttle pedal, but both seem a little odd if it was a known good running unit.

edit: re-read your post, looks like the history of the thing is unknown? i'd start with a PMD and code scanner. failing PMD won't set any codes sometimes though.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Got an old guy who's a costumer with a 95 6.5 3/4 ton. We usually have to put a injector pump on it every 2 years. Put a 12 valve cummins in it.
But if the guy doesn't like that idea then try putting a newer duramax in it that's not a 6.5

·
Creepy Ass ******
5,801 Posts
See what codes it has. Sometimes they will set optical sensor codes when there is air in the system, so you might want to clear them and then re-start it. I had one do something similar, was running rough, I patted the gas and it took off for a few seconds. PMD fixed it. Double check all of your grounds too.

·
Premium Member
49,715 Posts
You've got a GM diesel?

You do need help! Does your truck have one of these..............

·
SPEL CHECK
3,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok thanks guys , i did scan it found crank sensor code , switched it out with old engine , same code popped up. printed out diag chart found no 5v @ sensor connector. went to computer had 5v there , went to harness connector @ back of engine (smaller plug) found 5v @ term C checked other side of connector and found missing pin . found new junk tard motor harness different , swapped pins started perfect ! then it screwed up again , no codes , switched black box ( p m d ??? ) ran perfect !
thanks again for your time , ordering pmd and will let ya know

·
Registered
248 Posts
ok thanks guys , i did scan it found crank sensor code , switched it out with old engine , same code popped up. printed out diag chart found no 5v @ sensor connector. went to computer had 5v there , went to harness connector @ back of engine (smaller plug) found 5v @ term C checked other side of connector and found missing pin . found new junk tard motor harness different , swapped pins started perfect ! then it screwed up again , no codes , switched black box ( p m d ??? ) ran perfect !
thanks again for your time , ordering pmd and will let ya know
good deal. I would stay the hell away from the dorman or standyne PMDs. The flight systems/dtech ones always lasted a lot longer for us. We usually order an extension cable and a heatsink and mount it next to the pass side headlight so it can stay cool.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Extend the wire harness and put the PMD on the drivers side fender well. This will help remove some of the heat (these things get freakin HOT!). I also machined a heat sink that bolts to mine. Heat is the main killer of the PMD. Some company makes a kit which includes the wire extender, heat sink and a mounting bracket. The Stanadyne on mine has lasted for about 12 years since I relocated it.

·
SPEL CHECK
3,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i will advise the owner but i am tired of working on his pos ! , lol ! he has a heat sink that bolts to the intake. i just want this thing gone and i'm paid . 700.00 was to install the motor not all this mess ! i told him i am charging 100.00 xtra for the bs.

thanks again guys !

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Got an old guy who's a costumer with a 95 6.5 3/4 ton. We usually have to put a injector pump on it every 2 years. Put a 12 valve cummins in it.
But if the guy doesn't like that idea then try putting a newer duramax in it that's not a 6.5
They are to big for the engine bay without major mods. That is why GM didn't continue with the diesel burbans
Later,
BobH

1 - 16 of 16 Posts