Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 92 Camaro 305 TPI automatic that is all stock. I thought that I was having an issue with the lockup switch but messing with the car in the driveway I don't think so anymore. Most of the time the car will die when I put it into drive or reverse and take my foot off of the brake pedal but when it will keep running and I drive it down the road it will buck and about die and come back up over and over. Well the other day I was in the driveway with it and was not using the brake pedal at all. I could leave the car in neutral and let the car roll down the driveway not using the brake pedal at all just using the e brake handle. It runs fine in neutral but once i let the car move at all even in neutral it dies ( again no pedal just e brake). I am thinking something with the vehicle speed sensor or speedo sensor. Leaning towards the VSS. If anybody knows about this please help me out. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,114 Posts
just letting it roll, no throttle? the vats system can shute the car off if its faulty, but you have to give it more than 1/8 throttle i believe before it kills the fuel pump.

sounds like a dirty TB, or a bad idle air control motor (IAC) could be the fuel pump dying. the TPI needs a decent amount of pressure to run. rent or buy the proper gauge and check pressure at the rail. there is a fitting on the passenger side. there should be a black cap on top of it, but chances are its gone.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No throtte applied. I have not checked fuel pressure yet because I have ruled that out in my mind from reading posts on Thirdgen.org and everyone with problems replaces their fuel pump and it does not fix their problem. I did also think about the VATS. How do you test that system. Sorry for all of the questions. I don't want to put alot of money into tis car because I bought it to resell it. I drove it home from about 25 miles away then drove it a coupl of times a short distance then it started to screw up and I just want to fix and sell. It is a 92 25th anniversary Z28 Which out of 70,xxx Camaros that year only 5,xxx were Z28's. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
5,114 Posts
well, you can check it the old hillbilly way. get a friend you dont like much and have him stand in front of the car and spray carb cleaner or gas in a spray bottle into the TB before she dies and see if it stays running. that will tell you if you have a fuel related issue. if you run him over, no big deal.
:)
seriously, though. have him stand to the side of the car and just run over his foot if you dont like him.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I figured the problem out. It seems to be the vehicle speed sensor (vss). I had previously looked at this plug about a half a dozen times and never unplugged it because I was so heart set on it being the lockup switch. Then when I noticed that it died in neutral like it did I knew it had to be something else. So today I slid under the car and unplugged the sensor and then drove the car and it ran great, so I will replace the sensor and it should take care of the problem. Thanks again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts