Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

So here is the rundown. I been building my mustang non stop for about a year now and im almost done but keep having little flare ups pushing me backwards more than I been moving forwards. I have my first kid on the way and Im so ready to be a father but I feel as it would be smart to sell my mustang and pay off my cc and other expenses. My wife and I are pretty smart with our money and would have most of our debt paid off the end of this year anyway. She also believe I will regret it and I should not do it because she strongly believes in no regrets in life. Well I got a good offer on my car, not amazing but enough to make me think about making a smart choice and selling it. My wife thinks I should take a year or so off it and then when we are financially more squared off I can get back to it. She is so great that she makes me so easy for me to keep it but what would you guys do? Take the money and pay stuff off to get you ready for a baby? or just keep doing what you plan financially and just take a year off the car? I am only 24 so I know Im young and have plenty of time but this is now. Thanks guys!

·
Eddie Haskell
7,850 Posts
You want my opinion? Wait before you sell it and if you do only accept a REAL good offer. You are not hurting for money right now and you say your debt will be payed off soon so hold off letting it go. Pack it in some mothballs where it won't get disturbed and get back after it when you are more comfortable.

respectfully, Ann Landers

·
Registered
973 Posts
I was in the same position not so long ago (13yrs) and I kept my car but put it away and finished it later now I have three girls and a fast car . Ultimately it is your decision but it does not cost you money just sitting there but it will cost plenty to start over . just my 2 cents good luck and congradulations.

·
Tire Waster
7,086 Posts
Pu it in mothballs and start working on it again when you can. It is one of the better investments right now! Keep it inside of course and put a car cover over it.

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
keep it

1. Your financially stable, bills paid off by th eend of the year.
2. Your wife is all about keeping it(don't happen very often)
3. It's not costing you anything to let it sit!
4. Everything will cost twice as much down the road with the way the economy is going!

·
Registered
38,922 Posts
The smart move is to sell the car. I'm a long ways from 24 and back then I might be singing a different tune, but honestly, in today's times where tomorrow's job is by no means guaranteed, keeping debt, particularly credit card debt, is critical in getting a young family started and keeping it healthy - and together. You're young; plenty of time to do another car once you're certain your foundation is solid.

You are wise beyond your 24 years. Best of luck, my friend.

·
Registered
366 Posts
dont sell you WILL regret it. yes these cars are toys and yes it would be a "smart" move to put the money towards bills and debt but at 24 you have plenty of time to worry about responsible stuff later down the road. From what you wrote it sounds like your doing good as a family man already.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I have a 6 month old and my car is still at the shop. I work on it less, but trust me you will need to have a break once in a while. When you need that break it will be there for you.

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
The smart move is to sell the car. I'm a long ways from 24 and back then I might be singing a different tune, but honestly, in today's times where tomorrow's job is by no means guaranteed, keeping debt, particularly credit card debt, is critical in getting a young family started and keeping it healthy - and together. You're young; plenty of time to do another car once you're certain your foundation is solid.

You are wise beyond your 24 years. Best of luck, my friend.
He really won't have debt. In two months it will all be paid off he said.

Is it really worth selling something for half of what you have into it, just to pay something off that your already going to do anyways?

then start over and spend 2-3x's the amount you got rid of the car for to cover the bills!

·
Registered
20,217 Posts
i have never had a car i liked more than bills, and trust me, i have owned and built a ton of cars-only you know your fin. situation, but kind of sounds like your ready to turn it loose anyway-their are a few i wish i still had, but their just cars, you can always build another

·
Security jus sayin crew
50,209 Posts
Dont sell it. Put the car on the back burner is fine. You are young and can finish the car in a year or so.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well if I do sell it ill be able to use the money we were planning on using on debt for some home improvements, not a necessity but would be nice. I just wanted some advice from people that have been in the same boat as me. The offer is not amazing but just enough to make you think twice. Just been throwing the idea out alot. I see everything you guys are saying I really appreciate it, unlike most young idiots I listen to people that have been through the same as me. My wife tells me I will regret it and to not do it so there is plenty of convincing from her lol. If you ask me, yes I will regret it. If I wasn't a fire fighter I would be working on cars, cars is deff a huge part of my life which started with my step dad. I already had a mustang wrecked by a drunk driver, could have fixed it but sold it and regret it. But this time there is a baby in the picture which is #1 to anything. Its not a necessity to sell it at all, just a smart choice I have been thinking about.

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
If you arent in financial trouble now, its not gonna cost you anything to let it sit. It will end up costing you more to get the replacement to where you are now anyway, unless you find one already done. But then you get what someone else has done, not what you did.Just my .02.

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
I say keep the car and like was mentioned just push it into a corner till your ready to get back to it. Hell, you have spent a year working on it and it is almost done. Tinker with it as you have time.

·
Memberless Member
1,062 Posts
My husband kept his Challenger through four kids. :D I say keep it unless you really need to sell it.

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
Srounds like you have a good head on your shoulders.Whatever you choose to do will be a wise choice.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I thought when my babygirl was born 8 years ago that my racecars were going to have to be sold.I held out and we even went to the track a few times when she only 10-12 months old.When I didnt have the cash the car was put on hold.But I never sold and it has worked out.Your alot more financially stable then I was at 24 so dont sell it.Just put it aside for awhile and get back after it when your ready.

·
Registered
38,922 Posts
If I wasn't a fire fighter I would be working on cars, cars is deff a huge part of my life which started with my step dad. I already had a mustang wrecked by a drunk driver, could have fixed it but sold it and regret it. But this time there is a baby in the picture which is #1 to anything. Its not a necessity to sell it at all, just a smart choice I have been thinking about.
You didn't mention all of this first time around....:)

If you're a firefighter and your wife works, you probably have a nice family income and since you're really passionate about having a nice Mustang....well, then, a 'booth review' might be in order. ;)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts